Craftman YT 3000 Kohler 22Hp Loud noise

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your putting me on the spot. If you brought it to me and asked me that question, here's what I would do. I would ask you to take it off the tractor, saves half hour of labor. Bring the engine to me and ask for a qoute to repair, spent the money to have a mechanic look at it. If it is less than $400, I would repair. That's assuming the rest of the tractor is in good condition. You can't buy a new engine for that price. Find the best rebuilder in your area, a lot of guys say they rebuild, but just throw parts at it, plus one that is a Kohler warranty center. Personally, I would start with the shop that has been around for at least ten years. You want the mechanic to check the cylinder, valves, crank diameter, rod, everything. Doing this, he will be able to give you the best quote, to see if it is really worth it. Talk to the mechanic and/or owner before doing this and see what they have to say, so you don't surprise them. Some places don't like to do rebuilds and quotes. Remember, this just my opinion, as I can't see the unit.

Miller1236

Threads
Your putting me on the spot. If you brought it to me and asked me that question, here's what I would do. I would ask you to take it off the tractor, saves half hour of labor. Bring the engine to me and ask for a qoute to repair, spent the money to have a mechanic look at it. If it is less than $400, I would repair. That's assuming the rest of the tractor is in good condition. You can't buy a new engine for that price. Find the best rebuilder in your area, a lot of guys say they rebuild, but just throw parts at it, plus one that is a Kohler warranty center. Personally, I would start with the shop that has been around for at least ten years. You want the mechanic to check the cylinder, valves, crank diameter, rod, everything. Doing this, he will be able to give you the best quote, to see if it is really worth it. Talk to the mechanic and/or owner before doing this and see what they have to say, so you don't surprise them. Some places don't like to do rebuilds and quotes. Remember, this just my opinion, as I can't see the unit.

Hi Rivet, update on the the loud noise, all the decking nuts were all loose and had to be tighten it cost me $70.00 + $50.00 to rent the trailer, the repair guy said it took him some time to find the problem, he also said that Sears did a bad job in putting the tractor together.
Thanks for all your help
Miller1236

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear I was wrong.

mrcool

Threads
Just my opinion...go to a Tecumse 25...or atleast a Kohler sv730...I use "Moble Delvac" (for Diesel 18 Wheelers). instead of Traditional oil... in Texas, seems to hold up better. AND change it every 15-20 hours...it GETS HOTTTTT!!! and I'm just an Amature, 60 years old and don't know Nuttin bout nuttin

TnHusky

Threads
Miller I'm glad all turned out well and I appreciate the update. So many times of late the Kohler engine gets a bad rap, some warranted and some not. Anyway looks like there's plenty of life left in the ole girl. :thumbsup: