County extension?

Greenblades

Threads
I see a lot of threads recommending the county extension. It seems like such a big intense official step to take. How does it usually work? It can't be as simple as a phone call. Is there usually a charge or does there have to be a minimal amount of damage, ecological distress before you call them. I would hate to be the lawn/tree/yard equivalent of calling an ambulance for a paper cut.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ring them up ...
You will like them and I'm sure they are going to like you...:laughing:

Seriously it is a well organized VERY helpful organization ... here is a contact link since you were good enough to start a thread about them.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/
I can see you becoming an active member... KennyV

Greenblades

Threads
Either that or I would drive them completely nuts. "You want to do WHAT with your yard? Ma'am I'm not sure if that is even completely legal...wait, didn't you call in last week?" :confused2::tongue::confused2:

I hope others chime in. I'm curious if people call, what their experience is.

RockHound

Threads
I called them once about a bat I found on my porch that was acting strange. They came out and got the little critter and had it tested for rabies by the state health department. They were very nice and thanked me for calling them. They said it wasn't rabid but it very easily could have been and it was because of people like me who call about things like this that they were able to nip things like this in the bud or at least warn people about it.:smile:

grnspot110

Threads
Haven't been there for a while! Used to get MU (Missouri University) Guide Sheets from them. The guide sheets cover just about anything, form washing clothes to canning fruits & vegetables to taking care of farms &/or homes. Most guide sheets were free, some had a small fee, some were from other universities. Here, they are in the county Courthouse, which was close to my job, I would take a list of sheet numbers I wanted in on my way to work, could get I think, five sheets at a time. Built up a pretty good notebook! They also do things like soil samples for your yard, garden or farm.

A very good resource! I would think most states have a similar setup. ~~ grnspot110

Last edited:

Janie

Threads
Yes they do. I am an Extension homemaker which is a program from the Extension office. It's a club that shares tips about just about everything plus we also do a lot of volunteer work for local services along with fundraising to provide a scholarship for a local youth.