Export thread

Cordless hedge trimmer?

H

helomech

Got lots of trails to keep clean, on 64 acres, so corded will not work. Wife wants to be able use it to, so thinking of a cordless model, does anyone have any first hand experience. Looking around and I found this one, got great reviews. This one says it will cut 3/4 inch brush which is plenty. Mostly pine branches and yaupon. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/Zombi-ZHT581...2908987&sr=8-6&keywords=hedge+trimmer+lithium

tkruger

tkruger

I do not use one of those but have a cordless string trimmer. Make sure extra batteries are available at a reasonable price. My trimmer came with one and that was about 10 minutes shy of finishing the yard. Had to buy a second battery.

This said I am just using a cheep B&D so a second battery was $10 less than just buying a second tool. The model you are looking at may be different.

H

helomech

Thanks, looking for a second battery, but have not found one yet. Another model the battery was 200 bucks and a whole unit was 220 bucks.

H

helomech

Anyone?

1 Lucky Texan

well, I have a greenworks 40V gmax trimmer and it's fine for my typical suburban home. Has rotating blade for vertical trimming w'ever.

I'm sure there's several products that could work for you but, you might consider a Kobalt unit from Lowes - if there's a problem during the warranty period you can walk back into the store to exchange it/deal with it. Probably Craftsman and Home Depot also have policies and parts service that would be easier to deal with than a GW unit.

in the past, I had good luck with refurbished B&D stuff from ebay and I think Amazon too. But the old nicd battery tech was horrible compared to lithium-ion.

H

helomech

well, I have a greenworks 40V gmax trimmer and it's fine for my typical suburban home. Has rotating blade for vertical trimming w'ever.

I'm sure there's several products that could work for you but, you might consider a Kobalt unit from Lowes - if there's a problem during the warranty period you can walk back into the store to exchange it/deal with it. Probably Craftsman and Home Depot also have policies and parts service that would be easier to deal with than a GW unit.

in the past, I had good luck with refurbished B&D stuff from ebay and I think Amazon too. But the old nicd battery tech was horrible compared to lithium-ion.

Thanks, I probably have a few miles of trails, but they don't all need done at the same time. Just kept up so that when I drive through I don't get hit by branches. Been doing it with manual shears and that sucks.

MowerMike

MowerMike

It seems to me from reading your thread that a hedge trimmer may not be the best tool for your situation. Perhaps something like a Black+Decker Alligator Lopper might work better.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...ywords=alligator+lopper+black+and+decker&th=1

H

helomech

It seems to me from reading your thread that a hedge trimmer may not be the best tool for your situation. Perhaps something like a Black+Decker Alligator Lopper might work better.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...ywords=alligator+lopper+black+and+decker&th=1

That would take a long time, 90% of the brush is very light, need something that will cut it pretty fast. I can do it with a hand trimmer, just takes a very long time.

1 Lucky Texan

sears, HD, Lowes, B&D, greenworks, Ryobi,etc......many of these come from the same 2-3 factories in china, just different color, plastic bits. switch location

I'd just get one with decent reviews from a local big box, make sure you can take it back if you don't like it.

H

helomech

sears, HD, Lowes, B&D, greenworks, Ryobi,etc......many of these come from the same 2-3 factories in china, just different color, plastic bits. switch location

I'd just get one with decent reviews from a local big box, make sure you can take it back if you don't like it.

Thanks, I want a good one. Don't mind spending more up front. Think I will take your advice and buy from lowes so I can return it if needed.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Thanks, I want a good one. Don't mind spending more up front. Think I will take your advice and buy from lowes so I can return it if needed.

If you buy at Lowe's, check out the Greenworks 60 volt hedge trimmer. Unlike other Greenworks products that are sold exclusively online, their 60 volt product line is sold exclusively at Lowe's.

H

helomech

If you buy at Lowe's, check out the Greenworks 60 volt hedge trimmer. Unlike other Greenworks products that are sold exclusively online, their 60 volt product line is sold exclusively at Lowe's.

This one?https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks...ess-Hedge-Trimmer-Battery-Included/1000125039 There are no other big stores near me. Just tractor supply, and walmart.

H

helomech

H

helomech

Well I bought the greenworks above. Will test it out tomorrow and will let yall know. Will also report back after we put it to real work in a couple weeks.

H

helomech

Well my first impression is good. It did work in 10 minutes that would have taken me a hour with hand clippers. Goes through most branches with zero resistance, but oak branches gives it some trouble. So far I like it, and it is worth the 200 bucks. Will update in a month or so.

Homer1

Homer1

If you hate it, there's also this option from HD. The batteries are sold in 2 packs for 100.00 and there are a ton of tools that you can add to get a "set" of battery tools.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ON...tery-and-Charger-Not-Included-P2605/202556450

Battery:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...hium-Battery-Pack-4-0Ah-2-Pack-P122/204321540

I have a Greenworks pressure washer that I use a few times a year. It's electric. It hasn't let me down yet. I pressure wash a 300' plank fence, the house siding, and patios and sidewalks. Seems like a good product.

F

Finist

I`d better use one of GreenWorks models.

H

helomech

If you hate it, there's also this option from HD. The batteries are sold in 2 packs for 100.00 and there are a ton of tools that you can add to get a "set" of battery tools.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ON...tery-and-Charger-Not-Included-P2605/202556450

Battery:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...hium-Battery-Pack-4-0Ah-2-Pack-P122/204321540

I have a Greenworks pressure washer that I use a few times a year. It's electric. It hasn't let me down yet. I pressure wash a 300' plank fence, the house siding, and patios and sidewalks. Seems like a good product.

I am FAR from a home depot. I think the closest one is about 2 hours away. Thanks though.

Homer1

Homer1

I am too, I order almost everything online though, they ship within 3 days most places.

Last year I ordered an air compressor from them, dropped it right in my garage :)

H

helomech

Figured if I had issues it was easier to return in person.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Figured if I had issues it was easier to return in person.

Absolutely, and you have 90 days to return it for a refund or replacement. Also, if they reduce the price within 30 days from your date of purchase, they will reimburse you for the difference including sales tax. Just make sure to keep the box and receipt.

H

helomech

Absolutely, and you have 90 days to return it for a refund or replacement. Also, if they reduce the price within 30 days from your date of purchase, they will reimburse you for the difference including sales tax. Just make sure to keep the box and receipt.

The lowes website says 90 days, but in the lawn and garden section everything was marked 30 day return. Will put it through it's paces in the next 3 weeks.

H

helomech

Well I can't speak for longevity yet, but I really like the trimmer. Battery lasts way longer than my arms will. Used it a lot since we got it and no issues so far. Today we used it on and off for about 6 hours and the battery is on the last green light. I could tell it was loosing power, but still cut everything I that fits inside the bars. If it lasts I will highly recommend this trimmer.