Conventional riding mower or ZTR?

sherr20

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post here and looking for some insight. I am looking at both conventional mowers and ZTR's to mow 1/2 acre of Pallisades Zoyasia.

I am not looking for the fastest mower, my yard is very irregular with lots of trees so a ZTR would not be able to get up to full speed. I also dont want to damage my sod. I test drove the ZTR and think there will be some damage for a while quite possibly.

If speed was not an issue what would you get. I have a very mild slope. Budget is up to $5k.

Thanks

jimrs

Threads
Well I can tell you that you can damage your grass with a walk behind if you want to. I can not find one thing wrong with the zero turns. If it's tearing up your grass check your speed. Or check your self on operating it right. I think if you slow down some until you master the controls then your problems will be solved.

Black Bart

Threads
First post here and looking for some insight. I am looking at both conventional mowers and ZTR's to mow 1/2 acre of Pallisades Zoyasia.

I am not looking for the fastest mower, my yard is very irregular with lots of trees so a ZTR would not be able to get up to full speed. I also dont want to damage my sod. I test drove the ZTR and think there will be some damage for a while quite possibly.

If speed was not an issue what would you get. I have a very mild slope. Budget is up to $5k.

Thanks

If you have a lot of trees then a ZTR is what you need.
I have only heard of one person that was not able to understand how to turn a ZTR without tearing out the sod.

You can roll the sod with a tractor if you turn real short without going really slow it is not just a ZTR that can do damage.

You may have some damage the first time you mow but if done correct it will NOT damage the lawn.

Some people can ***** up a train wreck

robert

Threads
One person (me) AND Scag says that the ztr is prone to turf damage, but what does Scag know-I regret getting a zt mower and I regret even more getting an Exmark.

Sherr20 you are wise indeed-zt mowers can go real fast-over nice smooth ground-with your yard and budget I would be real tempted to get a commercial walker, add a sulky if you need to; if you also will be doing leaf pickup I would go with most any mid range quality lawn tractor.

I am tempted to tell you to take a good look at this model Cub Cadet-its the one I wish I had gotten BUT you may need a tighter turning machine ?

betsy-tom (betsy-tom)'s Photos | SmugMug

you have to go all the way down to the see the pictures, this has to be the best value on the planet

Look for a dealer that will let you either demo or return.

Good luck.

LandN

Threads
I do not have a ztr mower, but a 42"lawn tractor,and here is my take-away.......my son uses a stander zero turn,and my sister uses both a stander and a sit down zero turn.and based on MY rookie trial runs with their ztr mowers AND thanks to the recent disscussions here on ztr tutorials on driving them,i now know the fundamental principal behind operating the ztr efficiently without tearing sod up. MY only problem is keeping a straight line :laughing: which will come from more practice on my part. So, based on what you said about having many turns to make around the yard,i would lean towards a ztr,and do not worry about getting high ground speed(mph)i think with the right ztr mower and the right tires and practice you should be able to master the ztr....I'm sure i could be better with more practice time.actually my turns came out pretty nice.try them all out if you can and be comfortable with whatever you get.

sherr20

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well after looking at all the mowers, conventional and ZTR, I am leaning towards a ZTR.

I have tested ridden 4 brands and would like opinions on them.

Gravely ZT48HD with Kawasaki FR 24hp engine 48 deck....$4600

Bad Boy 5000ZT with Kohler Courage 27HP engine or 27HP B&S Pro Series 50" deck...$4999 or $4499

Ferris IS500Z with 24HP B&S Pro Series 52" deck....$5600

Encore Extreme 49K19X with Kawasaki 19HP FX and 48" deck.....10 hours...$4499

Opinions?

robert

Threads
The Ferris ride should have made the choice for you ?? it did for me BUT if the Encore doesn't come with any stories I would probably give that some very serious thought-best engine on the market, suspension seat and pump and motors for the drive...