Confirm my diagnosis: Toro Z Master 30 HP Kohler

wingnutty

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Toro ZT won't start this spring, I ran the gas out of it when I winterized it and didn't see any issues last year.

Mower cranks, just won't start. First I changed the spark plugs, no dice. Then sprayed starter fluid in the air intake and the mower fired up long enough to burn off the fluid and then died after about 1 second. Figured I had a stuck fuel solenoid, but checked it and can hear it open and close when I flip the key.

So I checked fuel lines. Intake line has fuel to fuel filter and past fuel filter to the fuel pump. I then pulled the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb and there was no fuel in the line and it appeared dry. I had cranked the engine a number of times, so in my mind there should have been some fuel in the line, right? I am thinking that because there was no fuel, this means the fuel pump might be shot?

I have read that you should be able to hear the fuel pump click on when you turn the key, but I'm not hearing anything, but can't say for sure because I'm also not sure what to listen for.

Before I order a new fuel pump I want to make sure my thought process and diagnosis is right. Should I be checking anything else?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Think you are on the right track, but I would check a couple of things before ordering a new pump. Don't know if you have the things nessesary to do this, but it's worth it. If you have a very small funnel (or something else) remove the fuel line from the pump to the carb, at the pump. Insert the small funnel in the line and fill half way with fuel. Start the engine on idle and while the engine is running, watch to see if any fuel starts coming out the outlet port on the pump. If you see a good amount of fuel, stop the engine and hook the lines back up. No fuel, means you should check the pulse line for breaks or cracks. If you find any, it means the the pump will receive no pulses, which means no fuel being pumped from the tank to the carb. If the line is in good condition, start the engine, with the funnel, and check if you feel a pulse on the end of the pulse line. Feel a pulse, replace the pump.

This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sometimes when the fuel pump is left dry after having gas in it the reed valves will stick and won't pump fuel. If you can get fuel into the pump, that is all it takes to get it working again. What I do sometimes is hook a brake bleeder vacuum pump to the engine pump and use it to pull fuel from the tank through the fuel pump to prime it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You taught me a new one today IL. I never thought of that (using a brake pump). Now can you tell me where I put mine? Thanks, Rivets

wingnutty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok Great! Thanks for the ideas!

I don't have a brake bleeder pump, is there anything else I could use? I would want to hook it up to the carburetor side of the pump, right, not the pulse or intake line?

Rivets, I am going to try your ideas this am. At the very least feeding the carb manually with fuel will allow me to confirm that the carb is not the issue and will help me narrow down the problem to the fuel delivery system downstream.

I also think I will just replace the pulse line as I already have it unhooked.

Thanks a million guys and i will let you know!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ok Great! Thanks for the ideas!

I don't have a brake bleeder pump, is there anything else I could use? I would want to hook it up to the carburetor side of the pump, right, not the pulse or intake line?

Rivets, I am going to try your ideas this am. At the very least feeding the carb manually with fuel will allow me to confirm that the carb is not the issue and will help me narrow down the problem to the fuel delivery system downstream.

I also think I will just replace the pulse line as I already have it unhooked.

Thanks a million guys and i will let you know!

Hook to carb side of pump.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You taught me a new one today IL. I never thought of that (using a brake pump). Now can you tell me where I put mine? Thanks, Rivets

I have installed brand new pumps that wouldn't self prime, so I do the vacuum prime as described earlier.

Threads
Thankyou for the brake pump idea guys I plan to try that one first chance I get. Does his have the vaccum line that runs to the valve cover to operate the pump?

wingnutty

Forum Newbie
Threads
You guys are awesome! I manually fed the carb and it fired up and then after about 2 seconds the fuel pump starting going. Rehooked the fuel pump to the carb and it runs like a top.

Thanks!!!!! Made my day:thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad we could help, thanks for letting us know.