Export thread

Compression tester

J

jakesmurray

What compression tester would you guys recommend for small engines?

S

SeniorCitizen

What compression tester would you guys recommend for small engines?
I use my thumb and I can check compression, spark color and timing all at one setting.

scott47429

scott47429

i just use one form O'Rileys auto parts store you don't need to spend hundreds on one from some place like snap on

J

jakesmurray

Wow, but I was looking for a more precise way! :laughing:

J

jakesmurray

i just use one form O'Rileys auto parts store you don't need to spend hundreds on one from some place like snap on

Ok that's what I was thinkin. Thanks

J

jakesmurray

C

chance123

I recommend you get one with a check valve built in (to save the reading) Also get one with adaptors for 14mm deep & short, as well as the smaller adaptors for line trimmers,Chain saws, blowers etc that use smaller than 14mm spk plg holes. I have heard good things about Harbor Freight's comp testor.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Nothing wrong with Snap-on tools, you get what you pay for. I have had my snap-on compress gauge for year. Top quality tools will last a life time if take care of. Just like buying a top brand mower or a cheap mower they both cut grass. I also have a cheaper compression gauge I bought at a lawn sale but it doesn't fit everything or work as well.

scott47429

scott47429

this is true if you was going to do this for a living i would say buy a snap on but if your a home owner and doing this once every few years why spend the money

C

chance123

this is true if you was going to do this for a living i would say buy a snap on but if your a home owner and doing this once every few years why spend the money

+1 I agree. I got a set of open end wrenches from Harbor Freight that go from 1" to 2" that I "rarely" ever use. Snap-on was over $300.00, Harbor Frt. $40.00. No brainer. On a side note I had a Snap-on blue point 1/2" impact gun that lasted 3 months. I returned it and got a replacement, and it lasted only 2 months before it too failed. When "that" one failed, I was in the middle of a repair and needed one ASAP so I went to Har frt and have been using it day in and day out for the last 3 years and it is still going strong. In a busy shop things get lost , forgotten on a machine, stolen, or just misplaced. I would rather have this happen to an inexpensive wrench than the alternative. I do however have good quality test meter, borescope, hydraulic flow pressure gages and mig, tig and gas welding equipment. for things that are critical.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Like I said a brand name or a cheap mowers both cut grass. It all depends what you are going to do with them. If I have to depend on a tool for a living its not going to be from Harbor freight. There are a lot of top quality tools out there besides snap-on also. Now that I am retired and no longer use my tools as hard or as much any more, yes I buy mine from Harbor Freight. Yes I can sure see a difference between Snap-on and Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight are throw away tools when you break one. Now as far as air tools went, back when I was using them every day I bought CP because they were rebuild-able. I really don't know that much about air wrenches anymore because mine are over 20 years old and don't use them much .

R

Rivets

As I said. In another thread, I would look into a cylinder leakage tester, if I could afford it. No only will it tell you if you have a cylinder problem, but where it is. Are you loosing compression through the valves, head gasket, or rings. You will be able to diagnosis before you start a teardown.

C

chance123

back when I was using them every day I bought CP because they were rebuild-able.
CP as in Chicago Pneumatic? That is what Harbor Freight sells. I also use an IR (Ingersol Rand) impact wrench.

R

Rivets

Careful, CP at Harbor Frieght means Central Pnuematic NOT Chicago pneumatic. Different company, different quality.

C

chance123

Careful, CP at Harbor Frieght means Central Pnuematic NOT Chicago pneumatic. Different company, different quality.

You are absolutely right! I stand corrected.