cleaning out dirty engine

gentlejax

Threads
acquired a toro self propelled. works but oil is dirty and I have tried to drain and apparently didnt get all of it.

Is there something safe to put in it that can flush it out and get it clean so I can put fresh oil in it and be clean ?

mower works but I know it needs cleaning inside. has the "6.5hp" motor

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
Only thing I've ever done is just fill it with new oil and run it about 5 minutes and then change it again, doing this 2 or 3 times if it's really bad.

I am curious if there is something else that can be done. But that has worked when I've saved a couple mowers for friends/family. I'm not aware of any product made for flushing old oil out if there is one.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
That's about the best way to do it. Next time, drain the oil by removing the plug on the bottom of the engine. And use a top quality oil for you mower. Stay away from any non-detergent 30 weight oil. That stuff is for antiques or door hinges. I use pure synthetic oil in my mowers, and have a 23 year old mower that still fires up on the first pull and doesn't blow smoke.

L8R,
Matt

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get some Wally mart/ Lowes/ Kmart etc garbage engine oil , the lighter the better.
Change the oil with this crap then run for 5 minutes and change again.
If the crap oil is really dirty run some more through .
Your workshop calls this "flushing oil" which it is not as flushing oil if aggressively detergent but it is also expensive.