Classic Briggs Restoration Project(s) - Have Some Questions!

FPMotorsports

Threads
  • / Classic Briggs Restoration Project(s) - Have Some Questions!
Gents,

Been a while. Hows everyone been? Hey, recently a guy i work with was cleaning up his farm and he happened to have FOUR mowers that i could have.. two of them are old briggs, and two of them are old lawn boys. For their age they are in wonderful condition. I have almost finished the body work and prepped the decks to be repainted their original colors.

My questions are:

1. How do you CORRECTLY identify the year make and model of the motor itself? I have read many different things on the old briggs motors so im a bit conflicted.
2. Where have yall found the best place to get classic briggs parts or hard to find parts!? I am going to need pretty much everything, because my father and I are each rebuilding one for hoots and a bit of a competition. We are hobbyists and this will be our first full rebuild. I would ideally like new everything.. including decals! (modern recreations of the olds)

My motors stamped:

92902 1163 01 710428
model type code

As always any advice or critiscm is always constructive, and appreciated.

Progress pictures to follow!

FPMotorsports

Threads
I cant seem to make the images appear in the thread, so this silly upload function will have to suffice.

IMG_2620.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2655.JPG
Image-1.jpg
IMG_2424.JPG
IMG_2654.JPG

silver1

Threads
Gents,

Been a while. Hows everyone been? Hey, recently a guy i work with was cleaning up his farm and he happened to have FOUR mowers that i could have.. two of them are old briggs, and two of them are old lawn boys. For their age they are in wonderful condition. I have almost finished the body work and prepped the decks to be repainted their original colors.

My questions are:

1. How do you CORRECTLY identify the year make and model of the motor itself? I have read many different things on the old briggs motors so im a bit conflicted.
2. Where have yall found the best place to get classic briggs parts or hard to find parts!? I am going to need pretty much everything, because my father and I are each rebuilding one for hoots and a bit of a competition. We are hobbyists and this will be our first full rebuild. I would ideally like new everything.. including decals! (modern recreations of the olds)

My motors stamped:

92902 1163 01 710428
model type code

Good projects! The last numbers (710428) are the date code. year should be 1971.
I go to Partstree.com and see what they have. I then go to Ebay and check on parts. "New" will be the problem.
nice job on the deck clean up.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gents,

My questions are:

My motors stamped:

92902 1163 01 710428
model type code

U do good work. Yes, please keep us updated.

I find it amazing what we could mow with a 3 HP Briggs then that now takes 6 + HP.

Tinkerer200

Threads
I MAY have a Service Manual I can send you IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com