Clank and Spewing oil

Zap73

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I was happily mowing the lawn yesterday and then suddenly the mower makes wired clanking sound and oil is spraying everywhere. I shut it down and looked and oil is puddled around the motor although I can't really tell where it is coming from. I tried to start it again later to show the wife and it started but sounds horrible so I quickly shut it back off. Did I blow the engine or maybe just a gasket? worth fixing or am I shopping for a new mower?

2009 Troy-Bilt Bronco
20HP Kolher

Thanks!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always check engine oil level before each use. Have you changed oil & filter this season? air filter? spark plugs and gaped to specs.? Do not use off-brand oil in your engine. Do not use water on engine or electrical system. I would wipe down engine with shop towels & make a visual hands on inspection of engine. If engine looks ok, nothing loose or broken, complete above tasks. Let us know what you find please. Thanks

http://service.mtdproducts.com/Training_Education/769_06667_700_series_riders.pdf

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/bronco-lawn-tractor#cm_HEADER_OWNER_CENTER click on manuals with your model & serial no's.

Kohler Engines: Owners and Service Manuals: Manuals and Maintenance

Zap73

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark, No, I hadn't changed the oil this season. I have the Troy-Bilt oil change kit but hadn't done it yet. You think it might still be OK if I do the oil change?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you check the oil before you started the engine?

Zap73

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, didn't check the oil. I know what I did was stupid, just wanting to know if it's recoverable or not. :(

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, didn't check the oil. I know what I did was stupid, just wanting to know if it's recoverable or not. :(

Was not asking to make you feel stupid.
Knowing if the oil was low or just right or over the full mark would help to guess what is wrong.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would start by cleaning it up real good.

Take spark plug out and valve cover off. Turn engine by hand and watch the valves. Do they open and close?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Mark, No, I hadn't changed the oil this season. I have the Troy-Bilt oil change kit but hadn't done it yet. You think it might still be OK if I do the oil change?
Absolutely, air filter & spark plug also, please let us know how it goes.

Zap73

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, bad news. After cleaning it up I could see where the oil was coming from. The block has cracked. I mean really cracked. big tear near the steering gear and across the bottom all the way up the right side corner. Looks like there is now coming back from this. Looking on line the motor is $950 so might as well buy a whole new mower. :(

Thanks for all your help guys.

Carscw

Quote Originally Posted by Zap73 View Post

Was not asking to make you feel stupid.

No worries Carscw, I was pretty angry and embarrassed over doing it. :/

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would look for a used mower with a bad deck or bad transaxle and use the engine.

Would be a good time to go with more hp.