Charging system fail?

saltlife97

Threads
Hmmmm....

In post #11 you said the battery was receiving 13.8 volts with the engine running, which is above the normal 12.7 volts for the battery. This indicates the battery is being charged.

Then two posts above you said things appear to me normal with the electrical loads on. I'm assuming the voltage was still in the 13-14 volt range during this test?

If those two conditions are true, I'm not sure what replacing the regulator is going to do for you. How did you test these diodes to determine they were blown?

I forgot to mention I didn't do my load test right and with the loads on, the voltage was below the recommended specs. but I Did an ohms test and the meter readings indicated the diodes were stuck open

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Testing diodes is beyond my ability, but is an ohm meter the right tool to test them? The way I understand diodes is that they will have very, very little resistance with voltage applied in one direction and almost infinite resistance when voltage is reversed.

saltlife97

Threads
My mistake you're correct. I meant resistance. Nonetheless I used the diode function on the multimeter and it read OL in both directions. That's how I know the diode is blown open.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My mistake you're correct. I meant resistance. Nonetheless I used the diode function on the multimeter and it read OL in both directions. That's how I know the diode is blown open.

If the diodes are open circuit then there will be no DC coming from the regulator as that is how the regulator turns AC to DC, the diodes only allow the power to go in one direction,

saltlife97

Threads
If the diodes are open circuit then there will be no DC coming from the regulator as that is how the regulator turns AC to DC, the diodes only allow the power to go in one direction,

There are four diodes in the regulator I have. I did this test with my older friend who knows everything about this system. I can't accurately describe what we did but I do know two of the diodes are open while the other two are good enough to allow some charge to go through but not all. Therefore giving it's giving a crappy charge to the battery.