Charging problem on 618

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I replaced the stator and regulator/rectifier yesterday, and still getting no charging, and 50 volts AC from stator. Never had this problem after removing and replacing stator. Any suggestions other than the flywheel may need to be replaced?
Are you getting 14+ V at the regulator output terminal
If not then the regulator is faulty
If you get battery voltage on the output pin this shown you ave a circuit between the rectifier & the battery
Try a KNOWN GOOD rectifier off something else

maggy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had a blown 30 amp regulator fuse how to find and test regulator
any help please
dave
Pulled regulator plug off started engine ran fast rpm ac voltage was 20 volts still just 12 volts at battery have not tested regulator sounds like the stator is the problem if just getting 20 volts ac
any ideas
thanks dave

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ac readings will be double the DC so if the rectifier was 100% efficient all you will get is 10V DC and that aint enough
Some times if the mounting points for the stator are corroded or dirty a clean up will sort that out
Another problem is the magnets can come loose then join together and fewer magnets = lower voltage
I have even had one engine with a mile of magnetic dust between the magnets
It was packed in so tight I thought they were separator plates .
Cleaned the flywheel up an bob's yer uncle

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Ac readings will be double the DC so if the rectifier was 100% efficient all you will get is 10V DC and that aint enough
Some times if the mounting points for the stator are corroded or dirty a clean up will sort that out
Another problem is the magnets can come loose then join together and fewer magnets = lower voltage
I have even had one engine with a mile of magnetic dust between the magnets
It was packed in so tight I thought they were separator plates .
Cleaned the flywheel up an bob's yer uncle
I was unable to get Grasshopper to charge battery (see previous posts). Unit has gone to another shop and he will let me know what issues ultimately was. I will post here with problem and solution. Thanks again to the support I got here.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I was unable to get Grasshopper to charge battery (see previous posts). Unit has gone to another shop and he will let me know what issues ultimately was. I will post here with problem and solution. Thanks again to the support I got here.
Update: It turns out the brand new regulator/rectifier I installed along with new stator, was defective. Like a big dummy and being frustrated with the repair, I didn’t test the new regulator with my multimeter. Other shop caught it right away. Wanted to let you all know and thank you again for your help. Second time in 4 years I have received a new part that was defective. So keep an eye on new defective parts.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is why I tell my customers that new doesn't always mean good. I perfer to test with known good working items and then install new to see if they are good.