Change Kohler Command 26 to Briggs and Stratton 20 hp Intek

smevarner

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Change Kohler Command 26 to Briggs and Stratton 20 hp Intek
The Kohler Command 26 hp engine on my Cub Cadet LT 1050 threw a rod. I have a Briggs and Stratton 20 hp Intek that I'm trying to use to replace the Kohler. I have the engine bolted on but I ran into a couple of issues with the wiring:
1. Both engines have a white 6 pin plug for the wiring. The B&S engine only has four wires, what are they for and how do I connect them to the Cub wiring which has 6 wires?
2. Also the cable that connects to the starter has a smaller red wire bundled in with the thicker "battery" cable and when I touch it to the B&S starter it turns over even with the switch off. What can I do to stop this and get it to work with the switch?

Or should I just splice in a starter button and hot wire switch? If I do that will it charge and will other things not work?

Please help!
Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The small red wire off the + side of the battery goes to the (B) terminal on the key switch. Post the model and serial numbers of both the Cub and the Briggs engine. I will try to find a wiring diagram for the Cub, which will help you wire the engine to the plug.

smevarner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for responding, I hope I got the correct information. I'm replacing the Kohler Command 26 (spec#PS-CV730-0040, ser#3510211601) with a Briggs and Stratton Intek Vtwin 20 HP (BG20319, ser#041215YG48223).

Thanks for the help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, but I need the model number of the Cub, not Kohler.

smevarner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, it's a 2005 LT1050.

smevarner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yup, page 79 looks just like my old Command engine and the 6 point white plug right next to the starter is the one is connection from the engine to the tractor's electrical system. Thanks for the link, that will come in real handy!

This weekend I was playing around with the wires and comparing the engines and I figured out that the red wire from the B&S engine is the "hot" wire (as usual), the yellow wire is the fuel system, one of the white wires is from the alternator, and the last white wire is the cut off. I managed to figure out the corresponding wires on the Cub side (red to red, yellow to gray (also has a jump wire from the red on the Cub side), and the wire (white to yellow) between them on the same row is the charging system. The other two wires, the blue is for the starter (Kohler had the solenoid on starter instead of separate like on page 79) and the green wire was for the oil sensor (which the B&S doesn't have) and a blank plug slot.

So, I can power the engine with the key switch but I still needed to put a starter button between the B&S starter and the cables that had gone to the Kohler. With all of these wires hooked up the engine now runs (switch turns it off) and when I take the cable off the battery it continues to run (charging).

Is there anything that can go wrong with the way I have this wired up? Could it over charge or singe the regulator is on the side of the B&S I should be "ok"? Any suggestions.

Thanks!

smevarner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all of your input. Have a good one!