Cemeteries

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do any of you guys cut cemeteries?

If so do you have any advice on bidding them? I have an opportunity to bid on one. A lot of the property does not have graves on it. A sizable part does.

X-man

Threads
Do any of you guys cut cemeteries?

If so do you have any advice on bidding them? I have an opportunity to bid on one. A lot of the property does not have graves on it. A sizable part does.

Nope. Not to fond of the fact that I would be surrounded by dead people.
However, if I was given the opportunity to mow a cemetery, I would probably do it anyways.

As long as they don't haunt me.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have thought the same thing! How to bid on these. The way I would do it is calculate the time to trim one tombstone. Let's say 30 seconds each. So 1 minute for 2 stones. So, 200 tombstones will take 100 minutes.

100 minutes/60 minutes = 1.666 hours
1.66 hours x 60$/hour = 100$
Then add the amount of time to mow the area that has no tumb stones or charge bu the acre. Then, just to be safe maybe add an our or atleast 30 minutes.

I hope you like trimming.

Wildcat

Threads
I guess you can always stop by one that is being cut and ask how much they are charging just to get a ballpark number. Also Lawnboys math seems about right to.

Just remember that some cemeteries are not owned by the church that it sits next to or is around. I have one that is 30 feet from my front door and the church does not own it.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess you can always stop by one that is being cut and ask how much they are charging just to get a ballpark number. Also Lawnboys math seems about right to. Just remember that some cemeteries are not owned by the church that it sits next to or is around. I have one that is 30 feet from my front door and the church does not own it.

The nor I am considering belongs to a funeral home.

Wildcat

Threads
No harm in walking in and asking. If they say they have someone who cuts its, well, its up to you to if you want to do it cheaper but no less than 10 bucks. I feel sorry for the three guys that do the one next to me. They take about 3/4 of a day and I wonder if it would be ever worth it to bid on it myself.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cemeteries are not easy to estimate!! I'm an officer for a local cemetery that parts of which are 200 years old and nothing is in line. When this cemetery was first started a horse and buggy was modern equipment!! The new part was setup with easier mowing in mind. The cemetery isn't that big, but it takes one operator on a Hustler X-ONE 60" rear discharge mower two to two and a half days to mow and one full day for three to trim. The cemetery owns and maintains the equipment, the labor bill is $2,000 for each mowing and generally 4-5 mowings are done each year. I maintain the equipment and sometimes have to mow when the crew isn't available. Vandalism is becoming a serious problem and when the regular operator or I'm there we are both packing, not happy to have to do so, but find it necessary!!! Carrying a side arm while mowing a cemetery, who would have thought!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hear people are just dying to get into those places!

Generally yes!! but once they are there they seldom bother each other, just an occasional ghost or two after dark on weekends and Scottish holidays!:laughing: