caster tires on ZTR

meamjw

Forum Newbie
Threads
My niece, obviously a woman, is 79 years old and has a 4 year old Cub Cadet ZTR. I don't know the exact model. A few days ago one of her caster tires completely fell apart. She took the tire to the dealer and they told her it was dry rotted. She asked what caused that and was told it was probably because it got wet, which indicates gross ignorance or a liar. They then told her only Cub Cadet tires would work and they charged her $200 for two tires. I know all manufacturers try to tell customers only their parts and services should be used so ;they can justify charging three times as much, but I can't believe there can be anything special about caster tires, which can be bought for about $30.
If Cub Cadet really does require some kind of special tire, someone please tell me what it is and why? I believe they just figured an old woman would not know any better so they could get away with ripping her off.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hate to say this but the dealer is full bull. All tires dry rot as it is called. It is the natural aging of the age like we all age and I might at different rates too. I had new tires never used to dry rot in storage.

What the dealer probably sold your niece was tire and rim sets instead of just the tires. As for if the tires are special they are not other than the size has to be the correct ones.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Synthetic rubber has compounds added to it to keep it soft & pliable.
These are temperature activated so in a car tyre regularly migrate to the surface to replace the ones that have been broken down by UV rays
In a mower tyre, they never get hot enough inside so as sunlight does it's best, they get destroyed
Try to keep them out of the sun light and an occasional dressing with any tyre dressing will prolong their life.
People often store mowers under patio style buildings where the wheels get sun nearly all day