Carburetor overflowing

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
FD501V-CS00
E/NO FD501V061146

It's on my LX188 (water cooled)

This carb has some sort of overflow tube, or breather coming out the top of it. Was mowing, when it died. Like it was running out of gas. After a minute or so, it fired back up and ran rough back to the garage. That's when I noticed fuel coming out the tiny rubber hose that connects to the top of the carb.
On low idle, it'll run fine for a few seconds, flutter and cough out black smoke, then surge back up to normal.

One thing about this. I've cleaned this carb out just a few weeks ago. The intake gasket was shot, so I made another out of thin carboard box. About the thickness of the carboard that saltine cracker box. Anyways, it's ran fine since. But when this happened, I was checking to make sure those bolts were tight. When I used the little cordless impact on the two bolts, it really made the gas come out of that little tube. The bolts were loose. Because they didn't even turn 1/4 round.

So I guess my question is, why is it getting too much gas now? Something as easy as a needle sticking open? I don't remember seeing anything odd about the inside of this carb. Or extremely dirty?
It's got new fuel lines up to the fuel pump and from there to the carb. New fuel filter. The tank was cleaned thoroughly and a new pick up & grommet about 1 month ago.

txmowman

Threads
Yes, the float valve is worn and not sealing off in the seat. Could be a cracked float, could just be trash in the fuel. I’m curious to see what you make a new float valve from. 😆
Why not spend the few dollars and get the correct part? The engine has lasted what, 25+ years, don’t you think it is worth it?

The tube is for atmospheric pressure to induce fuel flow. Fuel should not come out but when the float valve isn’t sealing, fuel will either flow out here or into the crankcase. Antique carburetors are externally vented, this tube being clear and free flowing it a must for proper fuel flow.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, the float valve is worn and not sealing off in the seat. Could be a cracked float, could just be trash in the fuel. I’m curious to see what you make a new float valve from. 😆
Why not spend the few dollars and get the correct part? The engine has lasted what, 25+ years, don’t you think it is worth it?

The tube is for atmospheric pressure to induce fuel flow. Fuel should not come out but when the float valve isn’t sealing, fuel will either flow out here or into the crankcase. Antique carburetors are externally vented, this tube being clear and free flowing it a must for proper fuel flow.

Making a new float valve? I'm a pretty good rigging stuff. I once put a brigg needle valve in a Honda 4 wheeler engine. Everything measure the same so I gave it it a shot. And it ran like a top.

Back to this. Apparently I had creased that gasket I made before, and I think that was causing an air leak. I made a better one and was going to put everything back together, but decided to check out the needle again. Even thought it was fine a month ago. But the float hinge pin was stuck. My pliers slipped and broke it right at the hole.
So, It looks like I'll be getting a new one.

WOAH... $300 for a new one?

txmowman

Threads
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Those old Kawasaki liquid cooled are awesome engines. Not made that at anymore.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Those old Kawasaki liquid cooled are awesome engines. Not made that at anymore.

I'm loving mine. I've already got about $900 in it (just in parts).
I ordered a cheap carb for it today. And a radiator hose ($45 for the hose...ugh)
I got the new hood on it the other day. She's all bright and shiny. And believe it or not, it's a more comfy ride than my landlords Gravely ZTR. Apparently it's all in the seat, because there's no suspension, except the seat springs.
Her gravely has only seat springs too. But it's like riding on a rock.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got the new carburetor in and fuel is still overflowing through the top vent.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Upon doing some research, apparently the aftermarket carbs are for gravity fed fuel systems. So I'm wondering if restricting the fuel going from the pump to the carburetor might work.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Little 3psi reg should do the trick.
1686780213431.png