Export thread

Carburetor leaking at engine

M

mgmine

The carburetor on my B&S 3 hp is leaking where it mounts to the engine I'm guessing that it is slightly warped. Not wanting to replace it I am looking for a suggestion on how to stop the leak. As I understand it there isn't a gasket at this spot. So is there some sealant that I might try or could that make thing worse?

I

ILENGINE

Model number info off of engine please. So we know if you are working on a horizontal or vertical and what engine it is.

B

bertsmobile1

Don't guess, take it off and check.

Any type of sealant applied will have a hrad job because here is SFA area for it to key into and it will have to withstand differential expansion.
I would be very supprised if there was no gasket unless we are talking about a sprint engine that used an O ring to make the seal.

R

Rivets

I'll bet you have two problems. 1. Bad gasket between the carb and block. 2. Bad float needle and seat, not shutting off the dual. As say, give us some numbers.

M

mgmine

Model number info off of engine please. So we know if you are working on a horizontal or vertical and what engine it is.

Model 80232
Type 403501
Code 91020403

I

ILENGINE

Looks like there is a gasket between the carb and engine part number 271936

gasket between tank and carb part number 271928

fuel pump diaphragm part number 270036 and the cover for it is part number 691213

M

mgmine

Looks like there is a gasket between the carb and engine part number 271936

gasket between tank and carb part number 271928

fuel pump diaphragm part number 270036 and the cover for it is part number 691213

Thanks I'll get the part and put it in. This is a used motor so I don't know the history.

M

mgmine

No luck it still is leaking although not as bad. Any suggestions?

reynoldston

reynoldston

No luck it still is leaking although not as bad. Any suggestions?

Clean it very good and use Seal-all. Comes in a yellow tube and you can buy it in most hardware or auto parts stores. Gas doesn't effect it.

silver1

silver1

Clean it very good and use Seal-all. Comes in a yellow tube and you can buy it in most hardware or auto parts stores. Gas doesn't effect it.

Your engine does not have a needle/seat. It has a diaphram. There is no fuel flow when the motor is not running.
My info. says to use 2 gaskets at the engine and make sure there are 2 bolts holding the carb. to block. I've seen them with only one!

reynoldston

reynoldston

Your engine does not have a needle/seat. It has a diaphram. There is no fuel flow when the motor is not running.
My info. says to use 2 gaskets at the engine and make sure there are 2 bolts holding the carb. to block. I've seen them with only one!

Yes I say fix it right and you are right. The OP was asking what he could use for a sealant.