Repairs Can't get it to start (recoil)

tlkempxx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope it is OK to post a question here about a Troy-Bilt tiller. It has a 6hp B&S engine. Ran a couple of years ago but now I cannot get it to start. If I spray starter fluid in the intake it will start and run as long as I keep squirting it in there, so the ignition system seems fine. There is fuel flowing through the fuel line. It is not a heavy flow, but should be more than enough for it to run. I took the carb off and cleaned all the orifices good with carb cleaner. Did no good.

I can only see to other options. 1) take off the fuel tank and check the line, shut-off, and filter (if it has one) for restrictions and 2) replace the carb. I hate to go buy a new carb and have it not help, but is there anything else to try? I might take the carb off and clean it a bit more, but all the holes seemed open once I was done.

Threads
Tillers set alot so the needle seats in the carbs tend to give up on them. I would say that would be a good place to start atleast.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
What are the model, type & code?
Did you clean the bowl nut which might be your main jet aswell.

tlkempxx

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are the model, type & code?
Did you clean the bowl nut which might be your main jet aswell.
This is a Troy Bilt model 12181 tiller with 6hp OHV B&S. Did not see other codes on the engine.

I actually took it apart a second time after watching another YouTube video. This time I did clean the holes on the bowl nut - at first did not realize that is a critical part of the jet! Also used a small wire to make sure the holes were not blocked and used compressed air on all the holes after using carb cleaner some more.

Maybe I should let it soak overnight in cleaner? However, on the video, it said not to get cleaner in the hole where the float needle goes - that it would damage the seat. Well, too late - I already sprayed in there.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is a Troy Bilt model 12181 tiller with 6hp OHV B&S. Did not see other codes on the engine.

I actually took it apart a second time after watching another YouTube video. This time I did clean the holes on the bowl nut - at first did not realize that is a critical part of the jet! Also used a small wire to make sure the holes were not blocked and used compressed air on all the holes after using carb cleaner some more.

Maybe I should let it soak overnight in cleaner? However, on the video, it said not to get cleaner in the hole where the float needle goes - that it would damage the seat. Well, too late - I already sprayed in there.

On some of the engines, the model, type, code is stamped into the sheet metal that surrounds the cylinder, just below the muffler. If it is the engine that I am thinking, the seat is a rubber ring, that should be replaced anyway So don't worry about the carb cleaner.

Definitely sounds like it needs a good carb cleaning. I have seen causes where you couldn't get them clean enough to run correctly, and had to replace the carb.

tlkempxx

Forum Newbie
Threads
From OP: Got it going!

Fourth cleaning did the trick! I only "thought" I had cleaned out the bowl nut. I had sprayed carb cleaner in it and used compressed air. But even after soaking overnight, it took some pretty aggressive work with the wire from a twist-tie to break loose the varnish or whatever had it plugged up. Once I did that, then carb cleaner sprayed through the center hole shot out from the two holes below the threads.

Put it all back together, including some new homemade gaskets just for good measure. Two tugs and it was purring like a kitten! Got the garden all tilled up and plants in the ground! First carb I have worked on, so I certainly learned alot!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just for future reference for people on here. Briggs recommends using a wooden tooth pick to clean the jets, since it will remove the varnish, and not remove any metal from the jet.

tlkempxx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just for future reference for people on here. Briggs recommends using a wooden tooth pick to clean the jets, since it will remove the varnish, and not remove any metal from the jet.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had read elsewhere "not" to use a wire and could understand why. Didn't think of a toothpick.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Briggs claims from there testing, fuel deposits, and dirt can reduce the passage through the jet by .004 inch. the tooth pick will scrap them out without hurting the jet.