Canadian MTD Hydro-Tran Refill?

Nanook

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am sure this has probably been covered before but will keep using the search function.

If not - there doesn’t look to be any fill plugs on this MTD based unit (15 hp B&S 42” cut) - for the Canadians on the board it was a CT branded unit from the mid 90’s.

We purchased the unit new and it doesn’t have many hours in it but the trans seal
developed a slow seep/leak and all the fluid is now gone leaking out while the unit was parked (engine was stored properly as the unit wasn’t used for several years).

Is there any way to refill the transmission? I can’t see any on the unit, the parts schematic doesn’t seem to show a plug and cursory web searches indicate “sealed unit”.

If that can be done it would be the most cost effective “fix” to replenish the fluid
faster than it leaks while trying some “voodoo” sealer product to slow the seepage down a little.

Are there any good suggestions/solutions to these “no maintenance/non- repairable sealed transmissions?

Thanks!

Exact model details:

Mastercraft 15.5hp 42" hydrostatic transmission. Model# 13AD698G515,
Manuf# IL18713 0285

Info from the tranny tag will be available shortly and I will post update.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When faced wit this situation you have to ask yourself
"How did they make it ?"
Some how the factory has to put the oil in
Usually it will be via the breather
IS it out of the mower ?
Typically a fill port will be hidden under the fan of pulley so can not be done with the transmission in place and often not seen till it is out & the pulley & fan are off .

Nanook

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply!
No, the unit is still in the tractor.

I guess I will start peeling back the layers to try and find something.

For all I knew in my ignorance the transaxle could have been a split unit assembled with two halves with one half being filled with fluid, open side up and the other lowered down onto it and bolted together. Sort of like a full coffee cup and another stacked on top open side down to form a sealed vessel.

Improbable and far fetched surely but I have only worked on snowblowers, generators and vintage outboards.
So although the engine portion is more or less like all those I am familiar with - I am a complete newb in this type of machine as it relates to transmissions.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I suspect you have a HG 310-510 series but please post the transaxle model number from its model/serial number tag.

Nanook

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, so much for your reply.

I am operating remotely and a friend is currently with the mower.
He has poked around looking for the tag but no luck yet.

Apparently it is not in an accessible area and he will need to start to disassemble the panels and bibs and bobs in the search.

He said the seep seems to be from the seal on the left side of the unit.

However, he did find a vinyl tube coiled up under the battery tray labeled “vent”.

Am I correct in assuming this is the method also used for fluid ingest?

If yes, a fill of 20w50 is the appropriate drink? Amount would depend on the exact model of the tranny but is there a general rule of thumb for # of ounces a machine of this size requires?

I could have him take a picture for me to post if helpful.

I appreciate the input friends.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NUP
the tranny was assembled then the oil added
A rubber cap under the pulley is quite hard to see

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The tag should one of the axle housings. If you are able to the MTD part number for the transaxle I might be able to pull that up on the Hydro Gear dealer site. Just can't find info on this end on the mower. Even the two Canadian site I tried don't list it.

But of course the transaxle may not even be a Hydro Gear version.

Nanook

Forum Newbie
Threads
My apologies for such a tardy update to those who took the time to respond with their wisdom.

My buddy that had local access to the machine looked and looked and looked for the ID tag and disassembled a significant amount of the flotsam and jetsam surrounding the suggested area where it may be located.

Edit….. ugggghhhhh - half of the text for my message above didn’t post…….

So in short.

Despite MUCH searching and disassembly no tag was found.
A clear tube into the transaxle WAS found.
Fluid was added via the tube
Unit moves properly now.

Thank you for all the help folks!!! Much appreciated.

Last edited: