Export thread

Buying Used Mowers

M

mattaggie

Homeowner user mowing 1-2 acres. Local JD dealer has a 2005 757 zero turn 54" 25HP for $2750. 491 hours. Obviously the hours are pretty low for a commercial unit but I wonder about buying a machine that is 12 years old. I could buy a brand new Husqvarna z245 54" with Kawasaki engine for same price. I realize its apples to oranges here, but how would you compare a new low end residential unit to a commercial 12 year old unit?

Here is the link to the mower.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/18201405/2005-john-deere-757

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

I'd buy new. Never knows what happens with a commercial mower. They get beat on sometimes and neglected on maintenance.

M

mattaggie

with only 500 hours, I'm guessing it was never actually used commercially. I'm more concerned about the age than the use.

Lawnboy18

Lawnboy18

True. It might have been a backup. You just never know the maintenance background on these mowers.

Age will be a factor also. Things get old. The belts and tires might need to ben changed (dry rot). Electronics can go hectic after years.

J

Jack17

Make an offer on JD. See if you can get it out the door for $2500?

M

mattaggie

I was thinking about offering $2,000 plus tax. It looks awfully sad sitting next to a bunch of Z900 series mowers that are only a few year old.