Buying compatible mower blades.

Fastrak1972

Threads
My Cub Cadet has mower blades that have a star shape hole in the middle that requires a compatible blade and prevents the blade from spinning on the spindle (which I know can be a good or bad thing). But the Hustler Fastrak 60 uses round holes. Does that mean pretty much any three blade system made for a 60 inch deck and round holes will probably work? Are the holes different sizes? Anybody know the size of the hole? I know I have lots of questions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes no perhaps maby
So if you go to the Stens web page , in the top menu bar select resources at the far right > quick reference guide > chart - blade size
All of their blades are listed by length which is the diagonal length from corner to corner
This is a PDF file so you have to print it out or download it
Next if you type the part number of your blade that you wrote in your owners manual along with the belt number you will see your blades listed with all of the dimensions
length , width , thickness & ø
Also if it is flat or stepped along with a picture .
If you want some one else to do all of the work for you then you will need to post the model & serial numbers off the ID tag so they can look them up ( note not me )
There are common sized holes so usually lots of different blade options
I have commercial customers who will use up to 4 different blades depending upon the season, when it rained last , what type of grass they are cutting so there is not such thing as "the best blade" .
What you are aiming for is the right blade for you & your lawn so do not be afraid to try several different shapes.
You can also go for a slightly longer blade & cut them shorter but they must be balanced very carefully .
Sandy soils are best cut with medium or low lift blades because the sand wears the flutes out very quickly
Heavy clay soils usually suit high lift blades but every different lift will make the clippings behave differently under your deck
So experiment
After market blades are fairly cheap even the Gators but for those you need to know the part numbers to cross reference to

clubairth

Threads
I have seen the star shaped hole and that's so when you hit something solid and stop things dead the blade shears the star part off and not the crankshaft key or bend something else. I have only seen that on lower line mowers and push mowers? I have never had any problems with the plain old round hole mounting system.

Another vote for the Gator blades too.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have seen the star shaped hole and that's so when you hit something solid and stop things dead the blade shears the star part off and not the crankshaft key or bend something else. I have only seen that on lower line mowers and push mowers? I have never had any problems with the plain old round hole mounting system.

Another vote for the Gator blades too.
I have never seen a star shear off the shaft to protect the mower. Never happens and the shaft and the blade normally get bent.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The damage 6 point stars on riders I have seen is where the blade installer did not seat the blade correctly. And star I have ever seen sheared was on a Husqvarna walk behind mower.