Export thread

Buying a used mower.....

J

JoeNoble

I spent $200 on my last one and while it still runs fine I recently found out that the shifting mechanism is toast. I'm going to have about $600 to spend on a used mower and I've found plenty in my area within my price range on Craig's list. My question is what are some things I should look for and what are some good brands and models?

R

Rivets

I suggest that you stick to the major brands. Toro, Ariens, JD, etc. Personally I would stay away from anything built by MTD, Murray, off brands sold by the big box stores. Look at the deck and drive systems, that's where the big differences are. I would also stay away from engines made in China. The quality is not there. Careful, they even have the major engine manufacturers name on them. Talk to a tech man you can trust, not salesman.

J

JoeNoble

Thanks rivets! The mower I have now is a late 90s craftsman with a B&S, it seems like a pretty solid platform but I think the previous owner kept it outside and moisture got into the transmission. I've always thought sears was a pretty reputable company so what's your take on craftsman mowers?

R

Rivets

As long as you asked I'll give you my opinion. I don't feel that they live up to the name. Built by MTD, parts and service $$$$ and I consider them just one step above the big box disposables. Most good techs will say you get what you pay for, but with sears where do you get service, at a shop which sell different brands. Can you say mark up for a reason.

reynoldston

reynoldston

As I see it buying any used mower is a risk. Maybe look for a estate sale where they are selling the mower not because they are having problems with it. When someone gets a new mower is because they don't like the old one for a reason. Big box stores should be putting new riders on sale this time of year and I would say for a little more money get a new one. Any brand mower mower is good but remember you get what you pay for. A 4,000 dollar mower is a lot more mower when a 1,000 dollar mower.

J

JoeNoble

Cool thanks for the input guys!

J

JoeNoble

Ok so today I picked up a free riding mower that is pretty much identical to my craftsman but is a different brand and while it looks like somethin shot outta the side of the block the transmission shifts flawlessly. So I guess I can put off buying a new mower for another year or so. Thanks again for the advice guys.

R

Raw Dodge

Ok so today I picked up a free riding mower that is pretty much identical to my craftsman but is a different brand and while it looks like somethin shot outta the side of the block the transmission shifts flawlessly. So I guess I can put off buying a new mower for another year or so. Thanks again for the advice guys.

Thats an excellent find! Hope it gets you thru a few seasons...in the future if your healthy enough to walk,Id consider a used 48" commercial mower,they are at the top of your budget but it will last you forever and provide a 100% better quality of cut...I bought my last one a Ransomes 48" with 15hp kohler command for 600.00 in working order,needed a new belt...its lasted 6 yrs of commercial mowing 10-15 hrs a week mowing time,and has needed nothing...it was 10 yrs old when i got it...great buy it was! Even came with a ride on sulky