Buying a Grasshopper FrontMount mower

Threads
Okay everyone,
I currently am trying to expand my lawn maintenance business and am looking to purchase my first riding mower. I really like the Grasshopper brand and am leaning strongly towards buying one. I have not decided if I will buy a brand new mower or a used mower. I have found a 721d with the Kubota 3 cylinder diesel engine for sale but it has around 1300 hours on it. They are asking $7000 for it. My question is, how many hours should you be able to get out of this machine before any major rebuilds (assuming it has been well maintenance)??? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Grasshopper forum. :smile:

BWH

Threads
The Grasshopper is a great choice for a mower; I have had nothing but good luck which relates back to a good engineered product. That said the price directly links back to the year and options of the mower, for that asking price with the hours on the mower it should be in the 2002 or newer and have a bagging system. You being in the lawn care business having a power fold for cleaning and blade maintenance would be a big plus. Maintenance is a very big part of these mowers records are nice but if not available you can tell a lot by its appearance. The diesels are excellent but keep in mind that any liquid cooled has to be kept from overheating (plugged radiator). Watch for any oil leaks on the hydro transmission these can be expensive to repair or replace. Inquire if the hydro fluid has been changed it should have been and for sure about ready for the second change. Drive tire replacement can cost a couple hundred dollars also. If you buy used try not to buy one coming from a lawn care service that you will use for a lawn care business, those are best left for the occasional use of a home owner.

1mstrb

Threads
Hello:
I have a lawn business also I have 2 diesel 928D grasshopper mowers I have bought both of them used and my 06 had 600 hours on it and I have had the best of service from it and I is a real money saver with the fuel .My 02 had 2300 hours on it and now I have 3400 hours on it and I have done all the hourly work like clock work changing engine oil to hydro oil and filter as grasshopper requires I don't see the price out of range if it is 5 to 6 years old. Also you did not state if the machine had a bagging system. If not the price is a little high to me. But with the bagging system costing about a extra $3000.00 that would be a really good buy. I would feel very comfortable paying that price from a home owner. From a lawn business they are selling for a reason. The water cooled diesel needs a little bit more Tlc but it is worth it in the long run. I run Rotella 15/40 engine oil and a Wix filter oil and fuel Changed every 200 hours You have chosen a good mower and Grasshopper has a very good help line for any problem that may happen.

Threads
Hello:
I have a lawn business also I have 2 diesel 928D grasshopper mowers I have bought both of them used and my 06 had 600 hours on it and I have had the best of service from it and I is a real money saver with the fuel .My 02 had 2300 hours on it and now I have 3400 hours on it and I have done all the hourly work like clock work changing engine oil to hydro oil and filter as grasshopper requires I don't see the price out of range if it is 5 to 6 years old. Also you did not state if the machine had a bagging system. If not the price is a little high to me. But with the bagging system costing about a extra $3000.00 that would be a really good buy. I would feel very comfortable paying that price from a home owner. From a lawn business they are selling for a reason. The water cooled diesel needs a little bit more Tlc but it is worth it in the long run. I run Rotella 15/40 engine oil and a Wix filter oil and fuel Changed every 200 hours You have chosen a good mower and Grasshopper has a very good help line for any problem that may happen.

I do not believe it comes with a bagging system but it does come with the snow plow attachment.

1mstrb

Threads
ok I happen to have a blade they cost $750 new going price used is about $500 what deck does the mower have a manual or ele the price difference is quite a bit from $ 3000 to $4500 and size is also a factor also the 721 is really made for a 52 in model only not enough power to run a 61 with a bagging system, the blower works off you deck and you do feel of the blower pulling on the engine what is nice the blower can be removed so easy to make side discharge . you have not said year of mower or deck size or if used by home owner or business. very big factors in getting the best price with out a bagging system the mower will bring less money $1500 to $2500 less

Threads
ok I happen to have a blade they cost $750 new going price used is about $500 what deck does the mower have a manual or ele the price difference is quite a bit from $ 3000 to $4500 and size is also a factor also the 721 is really made for a 52 in model only not enough power to run a 61 with a bagging system, the blower works off you deck and you do feel of the blower pulling on the engine what is nice the blower can be removed so easy to make side discharge . you have not said year of mower or deck size or if used by home owner or business. very big factors in getting the best price with out a bagging system the mower will bring less money $1500 to $2500 less

The mower has an electric deck lift, 52" deck, 03-04 year, and used by a home owner.