buying a exmark quest S before i just saw Toro ss5000

russgarrett

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / buying a exmark quest S before i just saw Toro ss5000
i about bought a exmark Quest S series 5000 until i saw the Toro SS 5000 at Home Depot. The Toro was $3000.00 and the Exmark was about $4300.00. i could tell no difference between the two other than maybe the tires. The Kawasaki engine and everything looked the same. are they the same mower?

Brucebotti

Threads
Actually there is a fair amount of difference. I researched the Toro's and ExMarks pretty thoroughly when I was doing my search.

The Quest S 5000 is a near identical clone to the Toro MX5060, which I purchased this year. The only differences that I could see were the seat and rear tires. Nearly 100% of the part #'s are identical. The Toro was about $400 cheaper.

The major differences between the SS5000 and the MX5060/Quest S 5000 are:
1. The MX5060 has the ZT-2800 serviceable drives vs the SS500's EZT non serviceable drives
2. The MX5060 has a welded / fabricated deck vs a stamped deck on the SS
3. The tires on the MX5060 are larger

I'm sure there are other differences to make up for the difference in price. You have to decide if the differences are worth the difference in price. In my case the increased cost was worth it.

Good luck in your search!

Bruce

russgarrett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually there is a fair amount of difference. I researched the Toro's and ExMarks pretty thoroughly when I was doing my search.

The Quest S 5000 is a near identical clone to the Toro MX5060, which I purchased this year. The only differences that I could see were the seat and rear tires. Nearly 100% of the part #'s are identical. The Toro was about $400 cheaper.

The major differences between the SS5000 and the MX5060/Quest S 5000 are:
1. The MX5060 has the ZT-2800 serviceable drives vs the SS500's EZT non serviceable drives
2. The MX5060 has a welded / fabricated deck vs a stamped deck on the SS
3. The tires on the MX5060 are larger

I'm sure there are other differences to make up for the difference in price. You have to decide if the differences are worth the difference in price. In my case the increased cost was worth it.

Good luck in your search!

Bruce

I HOPE THE 2 PICTURES I UPLOADED WORKED SINCE THIS IS MY FIRST TIME. IT SHOWS THE TORO TIMECUTTER 5500 AND THE PRICE ON WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE SAME EXMARK? TORO IS $2999.00 AT HOME DEPOT. TORO WITH BIGGER TIRES AND ADVATAGE?

Attachments

• exmark brochure.jpg
    exmark brochure.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Toro time cutter ss 5000.jpg
    Toro time cutter ss 5000.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 26

Brucebotti

Threads
I HOPE THE 2 PICTURES I UPLOADED WORKED SINCE THIS IS MY FIRST TIME. IT SHOWS THE TORO TIMECUTTER 5500 AND THE PRICE ON WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE SAME EXMARK? TORO IS $2999.00 AT HOME DEPOT. TORO WITH BIGGER TIRES AND ADVATAGE?
The Toro SS5500 would be very similar to the Exmark Quest E Series and usually sells for a few hundred dollars more than the Toro. Bigger tires are usually an advatage as the wider width will give you better traction and tend to not dig into the turf as much.
Bruce

russgarrett

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Toro SS5500 would be very similar to the Exmark Quest E Series and usually sells for a few hundred dollars more than the Toro. Bigger tires are usually an advatage as the wider width will give you better traction and tend to not dig into the turf as much.
Bruce

Sorry but in a previous post on this thread it says the Toro does not have a serviceable drives. What does this mean?

the sticker on the Toro says model 74631. it also has the Kawasaki V twin engine. i think the same HP also.

Also, the Toro model i am talking about is the Toro Time Cutter SS5000 as in the picture. it has the more expensive deck that is 50 inch and says 4 inch Discharge.
i took several pictures of the Toro and i cannot see any difference in this mower and the exmark Quest S series other than color and brand name. even the diagram on the deck of the belt drive is the same. the controls are the same and in the same location.

the exmark does say Ultra Smooth Hydro Gear ZT2800 on the 50 inch model. the sale price is $4300.00 versus the Toro at $2999.00. don't know the about the Hydro Gear transmission on the Toro.

i just cannot see the difference between the two other than Home Depot has a lot more buying power than a small local dealer. $1300.00 is a big difference. especially if you are going to just cut 2 to 25 hours a week with it and hardly at all if any during the winter.

in the exmark brochure it says Hella work light kit. i guess that is just head lights to work at night like any small home lawn tractor. don't know what Jack and Receiver is for or Turf striper must mean for a football field i don't know. it has a PTO like the TORO but i don't know what accessory that would be for living in the south. i think the mulch kit is extra. i don't know what else you could use it for to make money with other than maybe it will mulch and get up leaves.

the truth of the matter is i am a computer guy for a living and the economy has hurt. i have 8 rental houses and that is why i do have some good equipment bought several years ago except something like a zero turn. never get into rental houses bu the way!!! i am just trying to start a little lawn care business to make some extra money. At least i am not out here stealing copper or something else. i am trying to make it the right way. Even if family is embarrassed by a "i cut yards" sign in the front yard.

Sorry for the long post but any advise on the mower or even starting this business is appreciated!

russgarrett

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry but in a previous post on this thread it says the Toro does not have a serviceable drives. What does this mean?

the sticker on the Toro says model 74631. it also has the Kawasaki V twin engine. i think the same HP also.

Also, the Toro model i am talking about is the Toro Time Cutter SS5000 as in the picture. it has the more expensive deck that is 50 inch and says 4 inch Discharge.
i took several pictures of the Toro and i cannot see any difference in this mower and the exmark Quest S series other than color and brand name. even the diagram on the deck of the belt drive is the same. the controls are the same and in the same location.

the exmark does say Ultra Smooth Hydro Gear ZT2800 on the 50 inch model. the sale price is $4300.00 versus the Toro at $2999.00. don't know the about the Hydro Gear transmission on the Toro.

i just cannot see the difference between the two other than Home Depot has a lot more buying power than a small local dealer. $1300.00 is a big difference. especially if you are going to just cut 2 to 25 hours a week with it and hardly at all if any during the winter.

in the exmark brochure it says Hella work light kit. i guess that is just head lights to work at night like any small home lawn tractor. don't know what Jack and Receiver is for or Turf striper must mean for a football field i don't know. it has a PTO like the TORO but i don't know what accessory that would be for living in the south. i think the mulch kit is extra. i don't know what else you could use it for to make money with other than maybe it will mulch and get up leaves.

Just trying to start a small lawn care business for some extra cash.

Sorry for the long post but any advise on the mower or even starting this business is appreciated!

just saw the Toro 5060 has a foot pedal to adjust the deck height on the move. the exmark may have this but i did not notice.

Last edited:
Threads

the truth of the matter is i am a computer guy for a living and the economy has hurt. i have 8 rental houses and that is why i do have some good equipment bought several years ago except something like a zero turn. never get into rental houses bu the way!!! i am just trying to start a little lawn care business to make some extra money. At least i am not out here stealing copper or something else. i am trying to make it the right way. Even if family is embarrassed by a "i cut yards" sign in the front yard.

I will tell you what I know. I am not a mechanic, but a serviceable drive means that the transmission is able to be, for lack of a better word, repaired and the fluid replaced, rather than needing a new tranny (expensive!). Yes, a Hella work light is just a light you can attach to the mower to work in the dark...pretty sure it does not come with the mower. But there are plenty of DIY ways to put lights on your mower. As for business advice, I don't know how much acreage each yard is, but if you do too much a residential zero-turn won't last forever. But if you maintain it and don't beat the heck out of it, it should be a good mower. Flyers and a yard sign are the best ways I attract customers, other than word-of-mouth of course. Be proud of your work because remember: if people see you mowing and doing a good job....they will seriously consider your services! :smile: