Broken connecting rod ??

Britfellow

Threads
Hello, I have a Murray Select 40" riding mower to work on ... the motor spins over but fails to start. I did my usual checks ... ignition and carburation ...all ok,I did a compression test ... no compression. I took off the cylinder head and found the piston at the top of the stroke, turning the engine by hand failed to move the piston, I was able to push the piston down the cylinder by hand, turning the engine by hand brought the piston back to the top.
I strongly suspect a broken con rod .... how do I remove the engine from the mower frame ?, can I replace the con rod without splitting the crankcases ?, any further help will be MUCH appreciated .... engine number is 28T707 ...1154-EI.

Thank you.

Jim.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello, I have a Murray Select 40" riding mower to work on ... the motor spins over but fails to start. I did my usual checks ... ignition and carburation ...all ok,I did a compression test ... no compression. I took off the cylinder head and found the piston at the top of the stroke, turning the engine by hand failed to move the piston, I was able to push the piston down the cylinder by hand, turning the engine by hand brought the piston back to the top.
I strongly suspect a broken con rod .... how do I remove the engine from the mower frame ?, can I replace the con rod without splitting the crankcases ?, any further help will be MUCH appreciated .... engine number is 28T707 ...1154-EI.

Thank you.

Jim.

No you must split the cases to replace the rod.

To remove the engine you drain the engine oil then remove the drive belts , muffler ( Usually), throttle cable, fuel line , electrical connections and hood.
I like to remove the engine covers, flywheel and engine pulley before removing the engine from the frame.
This will take 1 to 2 hours.

If you have not done so already remove the drive pulley from the bottom shaft.
Clean this shaft with some steel wool to remove all the rust & make it smooth.
Flip the engine over remove all the bolts and the bottom cover should pull off.
Remove the head.
Push the piston out through the top of the bore.
Inspect the bore carefully.
If it is deeply scratched then the block is toast and for most Briggs it is now an uneconomic repair because new & good used engines are relatively cheap.

Britfellow

Threads
No you must split the cases to replace the rod.

To remove the engine you drain the engine oil then remove the drive belts , muffler ( Usually), throttle cable, fuel line , electrical connections and hood.
I like to remove the engine covers, flywheel and engine pulley before removing the engine from the frame.
This will take 1 to 2 hours.

If you have not done so already remove the drive pulley from the bottom shaft.
Clean this shaft with some steel wool to remove all the rust & make it smooth.
Flip the engine over remove all the bolts and the bottom cover should pull off.
Remove the head.
Push the piston out through the top of the bore.
Inspect the bore carefully.
If it is deeply scratched then the block is toast and for most Briggs it is now an uneconomic repair because new & good used engines are relatively cheap.

Thank you for your quick reply, that gives me good direction.

Jim.