Export thread

Briggs & Stratton Throttle Question

S

scoostraw

Hey guys I need some help.

This mower is a Yard Machines push mower with a B&S engine. While mowing recently near a barbed wire fence, the governor linkage got hung up on the wire. This caused the engine to race until I could free it.

Now the engine runs at a higher speed than normal all the time. But I can't tell what is wrong.

Can any of you guys tell me anything by looking?

mistermowerman

mistermowerman

This mower is a Yard Machines push mower with a B&S engine. While mowing recently near a barbed wire fence, the governor linkage got hung up on the wire. This caused the engine to race until I could free it.

Now the engine runs at a higher speed than normal all the time. But I can't tell what is wrong.

Hello , the metal tab at the front end of the spring is what sets the revs , bend it a bit at a time reducing the tension on the spring until you get revs that you want . Gary :smile:

I

Ifixdit

Something seems out of whack there. The large spring in the center is usually attached in a straight line on a stationary bracket near the front of the engine. Did it come off and you put it back where you thought it should go??

S

scoostraw

Something seems out of whack there. The large spring in the center is usually attached in a straight line on a stationary bracket near the front of the engine. Did it come off and you put it back where you thought it should go??
No it never came off.

I did bend the tab up with the engine running, and the rpm's decreased - as Gary recommended. If you notice, the tab the spring is attached to is on a bracket that swivels. When you turn it, the rev's increase and decrease slightly. I guess maybe this is primitive sort of throttle adjustment?