Briggs & Stratton 28 Horse V Twin on a Craftsman PGT 9000

HiTechRedneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton 28 Horse V Twin on a Craftsman PGT 9000
I was having trouble with my tractor starting. Getting plenty of spark, and noticed fuel pressure "looked" low. Changed the fuel pump and tractor started and ran like it was brand new. I thought the issue was cleared up. Now the issue is back. I did notice the engine was acting as if it was running out of fuel when I was cutting grass. I decreased the RPM and the idle went back to normal. Increased the RPM and things were ok. I had to do this a few times while I was cutting the remainder of my 2 acres. I did add some fuel stabilizer when I stopped to get a drink prior to finishing cutting the grass. I put the tractor away and when I went to cut the grass a week later it wont start. I can hear the solenoid by the carb click when I turn the key to on. Any ideas?

gregjo1948

Threads
How about fuel filter or tank vent?gregjo1948

HiTechRedneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
The fuel filter is brand new and tank vent is good. Thanks for the input though.

gregjo1948

Threads
The fuel solenoid can click and still not be functioning properly. you might want to remove it and see if it is actually openning.gregjo1948

HiTechRedneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the issue. It seems the fuel management system isn't working correctly. Downloaded the schematic and started trouble shooting. When I said the fuel management system, I meant just the automatic choke portion. Disconnected the automatic system and it started right up and ran like a champ. I have the parts ordered to put on a manual choke system. Looked at the dash, and you can see where it is "dimpled" to add the manual choke.

gregjo1948

Threads
Found the issue. It seems the fuel management system isn't working correctly. Downloaded the schematic and started trouble shooting. When I said the fuel management system, I meant just the automatic choke portion. Disconnected the automatic system and it started right up and ran like a champ. I have the parts ordered to put on a manual choke system. Looked at the dash, and you can see where it is "dimpled" to add the manual choke.

Why can't they keep it simple to begin with? How hard is it to pull a manual choke?????????????? gregjo1948