Export thread

Briggs Stratton 15.5 hp carburetor problem

D

dukalmighty

I removed and cleaned the carburetor by spraying it out with carb cleaner,the float needle was gummed up and stuck once I got it out I cleaned it up until it was moving freely.The problem is when the mower starts it will run on like 1/2 choke or on lower idle speeds,but at medium to full throttle will die out,I'm not sure but it may be flooding out,what do I need to do to fix it,pics would help.Thanks Steve

Fish

Fish

Some of the newer carbs have a jet that is just pressed lightly in place, and you may have lost it when you were cleaning, causing your engine to run way too rich.
Put up your complete engine's model numbers.

D

dukalmighty

Some of the newer carbs have a jet that is just pressed lightly in place, and you may have lost it when you were cleaning, causing your engine to run way too rich.
Put up your complete engine's model numbers.

Thanks Fish the numbers are 13AM762F765 also number 183629 on a Bolens tractor ok I think this is the actual engine number 061006ZE52108

Fish

Fish

No, look on the valve cover beside the spark plug, there will be a model, type, and code number, give me all of them.

D

dukalmighty

No, look on the valve cover beside the spark plug, there will be a model, type, and code number, give me all of them.

OK I gotta take the front off the mower since there aren't any visible numbers on top.you think they could of put the numbers in a more visible area.:mad:

D

dukalmighty

Okay I looked all over that engine,I even found a site that was showing how easy it was to find the numbers,I even pulled the OHV valve cover off and looked at every side of it which is where it showed most of the numbers were located on the video,this thing got out of the factory without any numbers getting stamped on it.The mower was built and purchased in 2005

Fish

Fish

engine.gifIf it is the one with the plastic top, the numbers would be under the front of the plastic, stamped in the metal, right above
the valve cover.

D

dukalmighty

View attachment 16823If it is the one with the plastic top, the numbers would be under the front of the plastic, stamped in the metal, right above
the valve cover.

That's the engine I have,but there is no metal plate under the plastic cover above the valve cover,the only metal plate is the heat shield on the sides and there are no numbers.

Fish

Fish

Well to confirm that it is running way too rich, first make sure the choke is fully open, take off the air filter, , shut off the
fuel, if it has a valve/or just pinch the fuel line lightly with vice grips. Start and run, keep running until it is out of fuel.

if right at the end, it speeds up and runs great for a second or two, then dies, then you know that it is was too rich.
if so, go back into the carb, see if you can find a brand and part number on it.

G

goldacres

I've officially subscribed to this thread as I have the same engine and having the same problems. I've even done the first few steps mentioned. Only difference is I can't keep it running. It dies after about 10 seconds.

D

dukalmighty

OK after calling B&G which were no help ,I went to my local small engine repair/parts store,they looked up the lawnmower model and matched it with this engine model number #282H07-0334-E1.The guy behid the counter thought it was the float needle wasn't sealing good,I bought a new needle and I have the same problem.It's a Walbro Carburetor.I choked it and pinched off fuel supply,it ran and then sped up a little at the end until it ran out of fuel so its definitely getting too much fuel,I'm thinking it's missing the main jet,I'll get back by the parts store later on and buy a new jet and install it,
When I first pulled the carburetor to clean it the float needle was stuck in the seat and wouldn't even move,which when I tried to start the mower it would run for a few seconds and shut off then wouldn't restart for awhile until I guess enough gas seeped by the needle to allow it to start up and run til it ran out of gas again.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

I would say the carb still isnt clean enough.
Your high speed pick up tube or high speed air bleed is blocked.
Got to make sure the small holes at the front of carb is clean.
Also take the idle mixture screw out that has the black cap on.

D

dukalmighty

I would say the carb still isnt clean enough.
Your high speed pick up tube or high speed air bleed is blocked.
Got to make sure the small holes at the front of carb is clean.
Also take the idle mixture screw out that has the black cap on.

OK,Ill mess with it in the AM,after about 10Am down here it starts getting hot.Thanks for the help everybody

Fish

Fish

It's a Walbro Carburetor.I choked it and pinched off fuel supply,it ran and then sped up a little at the end until it ran out of fuel so its definitely getting too much fuel,I'm thinking it's missing the main jet,I'll get back by the parts store later on and buy a new jet and install it.

Here is a pic of the number you put up.

Attachments

D

dukalmighty

Looks like I finally got the carb cleaned up,even used a set of airbrush brushes with carb cleaner to clean some passages,the carb wasn't missing the jet,it's a screw in jet,it still seemed to have a little miss at high rpm so I changed the spark plug and seemed to fix it,mowed my 4 foot tall weeds without a problem so it's back to business.Thanks for the help

M

MBS

I have a Stiga Park comfort with a B and S 15.5 OHV and have the same problem obtaining parts. I have looked all over and cannot find a number on the OHV cover or plastic shroud. The fuel lines and pump are OK, a small amount of fuel in the air filter will ignite and it will start then cut out and will not restart.

I have a problem with obtaining parts, as soon as I tell the agent there is not a number on the the machine all I get is a pitying look of disbelief and I'm told to bring the machine to the workshop where it take several months to check over as they are very busy.

So much for after sales service.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

You do have a number on your valve cover.... Someone might have put it on upside down or it needs a cleaning... It is stamped in the metal.....