briggs replaced by kohler

austinhull17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can I just replace my blown briggs with a kohler?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You can replace the engine but will require minor wiring changes, different exhaust system.

Lawnmowerman2

Threads
what are you trying to do.. you can change the motor, but make sure the shaft dia. is the same, as far the wiring, you can make your own harness.. that will work.. to me the briggs is a better engine than kohler.. there parts are higher.. buts its easy to change out. any engine on the market.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As ILengine said you should check the exhaust to see if it will work. Also check the base bolt pattern, and the carb location. I have had people try this but in a tractor the carb always ended up facing the wrong way, and it was almost impossible to get the control cables to work. Bends were always too tight. Check everything out before you buy. It could get very $$$$$$.

austinhull17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well my briggs has a hole about an inch and a half diameter in the block and I got the kohler for free so I'm not really worried about money on this project I just don't want to waste all my time. I've thrown an old briggs on a newer mower before but I think I got lucky on that one. As long as the bolt pattern is the same and pulleys match up I'm not worried

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Crankshaft size could be different. The briggs will measure an 1" The kohler could be 1" or 1 1/8' depending on the engine. all the single cylinder engines on riders will be 1" The bolt pattern will be the same between the engines.

The briggs exhaust will come out of the side of the head. The kohler will come out the bottom of the head so at least will require different exhaust manifold to the muffler. If pipe is one piece with muffler will require a different muffler.

austinhull17

Forum Newbie
Threads
And I assume the briggs muffler won't bolt to the kohler

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the exhaust pipe just slips into the muffler you will need a new exhaust pipe for the kohler. If pipe is part of muffler you will need muffler also for the kohler.