Briggs powered Generator

GM Guy

Threads
Hello,
I just purchased a Homelite 4400 power generator that is powered by an 8 hp Briggs. As you can imagine, it has not been run much and therefore the carburetor had varnish buildup in it which required a carb rebuild. I disassembled it and soaked the body in naptha solvent for several hours, cleaned out all the ports and jets and removed the steel plug and small freeze plug-type cap(welch plug?). The engine now runs perfectly and even starts with less than a full pull of the rope.
Now to my problem: When I put an electrical load on the generator the governor doesn't pick up the load. The rpms fall and that allows the voltage and hertz to drop. I can manipulate the throttle linkage to hold the load, but in a situation where I'm using this generator for backup power, I can't stand there and hold the throttle. Not that I would.
I think the a previous owner/small engine wrench has made adjustments or bent slightly the screw stop and the spring hook tab.
Can someone please help me or refer me to help for this.

gainestruk

Threads
It would help a lot if you would give us the numbers off engine, newer over head valve have numbers stamped on top of valve cover.

GM Guy

Threads
Engine : 197412 0142 01
Generator: LR4400

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to have to adjust the governor control arm (bending) to get the proper loaded RPM's. If your unit is labeled 50hz start with an RPM about 3200, if you have unit labeled 60hz start with an RPM about 3500. Final specs for a 50 hertz unit will be 49-51 hertz and 108-113 AC volts. Final specs 60 hertz unit will be 58-61 hertz and 117-121 AC volts. Again you will gain this by bending the tang on the governor control bracket.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most 60hz generators run 3700-3750 rpm no load which allows for 3600 rpm with a load for 60 hz.

GM Guy

Threads
Thank you for your help.
Today I removed the muffler to better see the governor linkage. I found that someone had connected the governor arm to the throttle arm with a piece of baling wire in place of the correct "S" shaped linkage and spring. I'll be ordering these parts and installing them before making any further adjustments.
The generator appears to have only a little run time on it. I'm surprised to find such a "fix" as this.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with IL that most 60 Hz generators will run around 3700 RPM's, no load. I should have put down my starting speeds were under load. I always start low when I make initial adjustments, as I have found too many TINKERS have set them way too high and I don't want to see a rod out the side on start up. Sorry about the confusion.