Briggs Motor Won't Start

calkan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a MTD Yard Machine from 2005 14.5hp. The the just does not want to start unless I jump it from truck. I have put new starter,solenoid.high battery. I have checked all the grounds. When i did all that it worked great,i parked it & a week it just barely turned over. I had to jump it. The battery was on trickle charge all the time to keep it up. I am lost,i do hope someone can HELP. Thanks

calkan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks it runs just great when started, so don't believe valves. There is no decompressor.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The decomp is fitted to the camshaft inside the engine.

If you have a fully charged battery then it will give enough power to let the engine turn past compression cycle.
As the battery loses its residual power then it cant get past compression.

Even with valves out slightly the engine could still run when started.

Phil G

Threads
I have a MTD Yard Machine from 2005 14.5hp. The the just does not want to start unless I jump it from truck. I have put new starter,solenoid.high battery. I have checked all the grounds. When i did all that it worked great,i parked it & a week it just barely turned over. I had to jump it. The battery was on trickle charge all the time to keep it up. I am lost,i do hope someone can HELP. Thanks

Take 10 mins to recheck all the connections to the starter motor, solenoid and battery. Clean all connectors with a wire brush or fine emery cloth till they are bright and shiny. Then a smear of grease on them once they are refitted.

Can't see why the battery should fail if you've got it on charge unless the new battery is faulty (it happens) or the charger is not giving sufficient charge.

Good luck, Phil :smile:

calkan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take 10 mins to recheck all the connections to the starter motor, solenoid and battery. Clean all connectors with a wire brush or fine emery cloth till they are bright and shiny. Then a smear of grease on them once they are refitted.

Can't see why the battery should fail if you've got it on charge unless the new battery is faulty (it happens) or the charger is not giving sufficient charge.

Good luck, Phil :smile:

I can take battery out & put in any of the other two mowers i have & will start them no problem. I will check all connections again to make sure OK. Hope its not needing valve adjustment as i don't know how to do that. Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the battery is going dead after siting for some time you have a voltage draw. A bad battery can have internal short and do this or you have a voltage draw in the electric part of mower. If the voltage draw is in the mower disconnect one of the battery cables and put a test light between the battery and the battery cable. If the test light is on you have a short.

calkan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can take battery out & put in any of the other two mowers i have & will start them no problem. I will check all connections again to make sure OK. Hope its not needing valve adjustment as i don't know how to do that. Thanks
To those of you who told me the valves needed adjusted. I THANK YOU ALL. I doubted that was the problem but i adjusted them and it works great. I did not think that little bit would do anything. Know i know not to be so close minded. Thanks Again