Briggs motor possibly seized?

Stuckinmud15

Threads
Poulan pro mower, briggs motor model: 12H802 type: 1922 F1 code: 99031856......the pull cord will barely pull, I dont want to pull it as it's so tight that it feels as though the cord itself will break if I tried to pull it hard enough to turn the motor over. I can spin the blade by hand with a decent amount of effort. Sounds slightly like metal on metal turning inside when I manually turn the blade. I'm assuming the motor isn't seized completely if I can spin the blade. Has old oil in it. Should I spray some pb inside the spark plug socket? When I turn the blade I can hear that there is compression. Thanks for any help!:thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Is the brake on the flywheel releasing. that will cause hard to turn over and a metallic sound when turning the blade by hand if the brake isn't released.

Vervepipes

Threads
I've seen bad recoil assemblies do the same. You can try to see if the brake is releasing first since you should be able to see the movement without removing anything, removing the recoil is just a few bolts and a few minutes and may save some unneccesary troubleshooting. Has the mower been sitting for a long time? Inside or outside?

Stuckinmud15

Threads
I've seen bad recoil assemblies do the same. You can try to see if the brake is releasing first since you should be able to see the movement without removing anything, removing the recoil is just a few bolts and a few minutes and may save some unneccesary troubleshooting. Has the mower been sitting for a long time? Inside or outside?

I got the mower from a friend, she told me she had it running recently like a week or two ago. The mower would not self propel. Her brother "messed with it" and it is now doing this. Not sure what he did to it besides take the drive belt off, which i have not yet reattached. I'm assuming the drive belt not being on wouldn't result in this though. How do i check if the brake is releasing? The mower was stored inside. All the information i just posted above was just told to me now which is why i didn't include any of that in my op lol. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the bail control up on the handle moves the control down on the engine then most likely the brake is releasing. the other thing is if the guy laid it on its side or cylinder down could of hydrolocked the engine. Remove the spark plug and see if oil comes out when the engine is cranked.

Stuckinmud15

Threads
If the bail control up on the handle moves the control down on the engine then most likely the brake is releasing. the other thing is if the guy laid it on its side or cylinder down could of hydrolocked the engine. Remove the spark plug and see if oil comes out when the engine is cranked.

Yes the control moves on the engine. I tired pulling the plug and nothing came out when i turned it over. The cord is just very tough to pull compared to a normal mower. But no oil or anything coming from the plug socket.