Briggs and Stratton/tecumseh TVXL220-157245D lock issue

jwoot

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton/tecumseh TVXL220-157245D lock issue
Ok time for a dumb question... how can I wire this to try to get it to run off of the mower deck? I thought if did the following the motor would try to turn over.

-Ground the motor
-Ground the Solenoid {where it mounts to frame of mower}
-Ground the wire coming from Solid State Ignition
-Wire power from battery to proper post of Solenoid.

So far no luck...what am I missing? I know the starter works {turns if power supplied} The solenoid was also working before everything was taken apart
Thoughts?

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/10033224-00006.png

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
run off the mower deck?:confused2:....try to clarify

jwoot

Threads
Meaning...the motor is not attached to the mower body at the moment. It took quite a bit of work to remove it from the deck, and would like to know the motor at least works before I reattach it.

At the moment, I have it bolted to a work bench outside I figure if things go really wrong, I'd rather not have it happen in my shop. I don't mind having a good story, but I'd rather not test my insurance policy :)

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
aahh!....i see,..the deck is what the mower blades are are part of...not the frame..which is what your talking about....ok....if everything is intact..as far as wiring..all you need to do is ground the engine to the frame with something big ..like a battery cable...but obviously somethings missing...there might be safety switches..like on the clutch pedal or seat or mower deck to make it work...can you take more pictures of the situation?....im sure your close!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
see number 20 and 10 on your diagram?..those may be your safety switches..

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I believe the KILL switch applies ground to the magneto... if you are applying ground to that lead while you are cranking it... It will not start. :smile:KennyV

jwoot

Threads
The thing is...it does not even try to crank. If I bybass the solenoid it does, but otherwise nothing.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok..your going to need a voltmeter....do you have one?

jwoot

Threads
Ok... so some progress :) I tested the solenoid for continuity and there seems to be an issue with that. I'm not sure why...but putting that aside, I grounded the motor and then applied power to the starter/Solid State Ingnition.

I removed the ground from the ingnition {thanks kennyv :) } and the motor actually ran for a few moments. It then stopped with a resounding backfire :) I find of figured I would have to do some carb work, but I have been putting it off until now.