briggs and stratton runs fast after camshaft replacement

mdlinki

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / briggs and stratton runs fast after camshaft replacement
I had to replace the camshaft on my B&S 33r877 19hp and after replacing it and starting the engine it wants to run at full throttle all the time. I have adjusted the governor and the only way the motor will run like its supposed to is with the control plate off the motor. The governor works fine when the control plate is removed from the engine but it races when the control plate is installed. I have replaced the spring, governor rod, throttle rod and spring and I have adjusted the throttle control cable according the the B&S manual. Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could the governor gear itself be damaged due to the issue that caused you to replace the camshaft. Broken ACR parts from the camshaft could of caused damage to the governor weights.

mdlinki

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could the governor gear itself be damaged due to the issue that caused you to replace the camshaft. Broken ACR parts from the camshaft could of caused damage to the governor weights.
So before I pulled the engine and looked at the governor I gave everything one more look and found that the governor control lever was not gripping the governor shaft even though the nut was tight. That allowed the governor to free wheel and let the engine race. Removed the lever and reformed the part that grabs the control shaft and reinstalled the the lever and all is as it should be. Thanks for the input.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you found the issue