Briggs and Stratton 7.25 issues

jayd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a new Briggs And Stratton 7.25 mower that runs great sometimes and the next time won't start or will only run for a few seconds/minutes. The plug is always wet with fuel when it's acting up. The float/seat is working and I've got spark. The fuel is fresh and should not be a problem.

I have the Magneto ground wire disconnected and I have a spark at the plug. After attempting to start it the plug will be wet. I also have the Auto Choke disconnected and it's set to wide open (no choke). I tested the float/seat and it does seal correctly so no flooding from excess fuel.

I can't figure out why it won't start or run sometimes.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would rebuild the carb with a new needle, seat and float. Sound like the needle is not always seating properly, or the float level is to high. Disconnecting the coil and choke could also be hiding other problems.

possum

Threads
I would guess it is the same issue everyone to include me is having with that engine. The stupid spark plug. I would imagine before long it will be common knowledge to just screw in a new plug. The plug it comes with sucks. Is expensive. Has been hard to find as of this last summer.

jayd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would guess it is the same issue everyone to include me is having with that engine. The stupid spark plug. I would imagine before long it will be common knowledge to just screw in a new plug. The plug it comes with sucks. Is expensive. Has been hard to find as of this last summer.

You were right, I finally found some other post about the Champian RJ2YLE plug being a POS, put the plug from my 15 year old B&S and it strarted right up.

possum

Threads
That is exactly what happens. The oldest gunky old plug will start them first pull. The really tough part is getting anyone to believe you lol. My dealer not only could not get the plug for several weeks but had never even heard of it.

chance123

Threads
Many times I have found that opening the plug gap to around .035 helps

jammer316

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many times I have found that opening the plug gap to around .035 helps
Hi was wondering the new briggs 725 easy start that people are having problems with spark plug are using the old old plug in the motor and it works fine are they changing the gap to .020 or leaving it at .030?Thanks