Briggs and Stratton 675 Series Runs Well and then Dies

grt1235

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 675 Series Runs Well and then Dies
I have a Briggs and Stratton 675 series the serial number on it is 26102-1346-B1 09041359. It is equipped with the dreaded auto start system as I believe it is called. I got the mower from a friend who garbage picked it and it has really got me stumped. I'm by no means a mechanical genius but I'm usually able to get old motors running fairly easily, but this one really has me stumped.

When I first got it I pulled it, felt like it had good compression, pulled the plug, saw it had spark and took it from their. I sprayed a bit of gas in the carb and it ran, but died. I pulled the carb of cleaned it with carb cleaner (inside of carb appeared to be very clean) at the same time I also drained the gas tank. The gas had water in it so, i removed the fuel tank and flushed it out with fresh gas a few times before reinstalling it.

I then filled the mower with fresh gas and it did not start. I sprayed a bit of gas in the carb and it ran but then died, I repeated this a few more times until it it ran and stayed running for a long time.

Then next day I started it up first pull and it ran for about five minutes, It then died and would not restart, after cooling down for about 10 min it started and ran no problem for an hour.

Since then it has been running better but is still very picky about running. Basically the mower will usually start cold no problem first pull, It sometimes dies a with in a few minutes, how ever I have had it run for an 1/2-1hr while cutting my grass a few times. When it dies or I choose to turn it off it sometimes needs to cool down for some time between restarting, however I have also gotten it to restart hot.

So where would you go from here if you were me? My goal is to get it running right without spending much money because I would like to resell it. Should I be checking for a sheared flyweel key? spark plug gap ?

Thanks for your help

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 675 Series Runs Well and then Dies
Number missing from 26102, need 6 numbers. Check oil level, add if necessary, replace spark plug & gap to specs., replace air filter, adjust valves to specs.