Briggs and Stratton 675 Seized

Rickoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys

Unfortunately I have managed to seize my relatively new lawnmower which is running a 675 Briggs and Stratton motor :frown:. I managed to free it up again, get it going and re added the oil and have been keeping an eagle eye on oil consumption. My questions are these since the mower is running without making any new knocking noises, not appearing to use any oil, seems to idle ok - could I have dodged a bullet in the short term? It does appear to be a bit down on power so I am thinking that long term I will have to repair/replace engine, what are the most likely parts that are going to need repairing/replacing ie conrods pistons etc. Also is it normal for these engines to burn quite a bit of oil if they are being used heavily - this engine has burnt through most of its oil in about 11 hours running from new and I topped up the oil myself. I know they burn a little bit but I was amazed that most of the engine oil was gone when the mower seized.

thanks for your help

Rick

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Normal use as far as what the manufacturer considers is one ounce per hour of operation. I know most engines don't use that much, but it could equate to 11 ounces used with a total volume of 20 ounces.

It may work for awhile but you have shortened its life considerable. Future repair most likely will require complete engine replacement, since the required parts will cost more than the engine does.

Rickoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Normal use as far as what the manufacturer considers is one ounce per hour of operation. I know most engines don't use that much, but it could equate to 11 ounces used with a total volume of 20 ounces.

It may work for awhile but you have shortened its life considerable. Future repair most likely will require complete engine replacement, since the required parts will cost more than the engine does.

Thanks for that - I did use the mower under some tough conditions - but i didnt think that it would change oil consumption. Do these engines give much in the way of warning of impending doom ie Knocking piston slap etc or do they just let go?
The reason I am asking as I just need the mower for about another 25 hours or so before I box it up and send it back to NZ - where I can fix it at my leisure - for me worse case scenario is it dying now and having to wait 3 weeks to get a replacement from the states - the japanese dont stock Briggs and Stratton motors so I cant buy one locally.

Thanks

Rick:biggrin:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The engine could run for years, or five minutes. There is usually very short warning on those small engines. They are not like a car engine where you have bearing inserts, that will cause a knock. The small engines run aluminum on crankshaft, so therytend to overheat, melt the aluminum to the crankshaft, which then sticks, and breaks the rod, which normally goes through the side of the engine.

gregjo1948

Threads
I'd say you got very lucky in not blowing the engine. I'd run straight 30 weight oil and not push hard in thick/tall grass. Slow down the ground speed keeping the engine from staining. As ILENGINE stated, it may not give you any warning before it implodes. They don't always poke the rod thru the block but, the rod breaks into many pieces and also make a mess of other stuff inside that can't be repaired or is too expensive to bother with. gregjo1948

FIX THIS

Forum Newbie
Threads
What he said!! Stick to 30wt. HD oil, stay away from the multi vis. stuff! As was mentioned, the parts to repair it will cost almost as much as a new motor , could mayhaps short block it.

Rickoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Guys

Thanks for the advice - an update have run the mower for another 6 hours since seizing it and it appears to be running ok, I will change the oil and put in just 30 w, the cautious side of me is saying to buy another engine and have it sitting there as a spare - I see I can get a cheap B&S engine from ebay - and get it freighted over here to Japan for about $220 US dollars which is not bad - I was reading about loncin engines as being Honda clones and apparently they run well as a repower unit - unfortunately for me I cant seem to source them over here in Japan - though I maybe able to get one through Alibaba. Warranty is also a problem when I shift back to NZ the B&S is I believe is covered by a 2 year warranty, and every town in NZ has a local mower shop who sell B&S - where the Loncin engine doesnt appear to have much representation. I am just a bit nervous - As a kid growing up we always had B&S engines in lawnmowers water pumps etc - they were renown as being tough and reliable - we had B&S motors on our lawnmowers and never had a problem - but would I be correct in saying that the engines are not as tough as older models of years gone by.

Your thoughts and any other advice would be much appreciated.

cheers

Rick

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
loncin engines are used on a lot of equipment, but warranty and parts are normally handles through the oem of the equipment not a separate dealer like briggs. Loncin is used on Generac pressure washers and generators, power washer brand pressure washers, ETQ generators, etc.