Export thread

Briggs and Stratton 25hp OHV model 445777 repair manual

M

mlev

I bent a push rod for one of the exhaust valves, replaced it and still had backfire issues. When I replaced it and tried to set the lash I noticed that the spring on the exhaust valve was shorter than the other 3 springs by almost 1/4". I had to adjust the set screw deep into the lock nut (compared to the others) Could my valve be stuck open slightly or is this a weak spring. After replacing the pushrod I rebuilt the carb, changed the oil, filters etc. everything was running great, had power again with some backfire until it warmed up. Completed the lawn and figured I could redo the heads down the road. One week later pulled the Derby out to mow and upon starting the blades lost power. As I tried to throttle up and down to warm up the motor, the governor spring came off. I replaced it (probably incorrectly) and now cannot idle the machine, it is running very fast. Does anyone have a diagram or commercial repair manual for the 44000 series B & S 25hp OHV? I have the parts list but it does not show the springs connected or the position of the throttle arm etc.
Looking forward to any advice, pics ect.
Thank you, ML

Arwing64

Arwing64

Check on Briggs and Stratton's website. You can aquire a manual by entering your model #, code, and type.

B

bertsmobile1

Check on Briggs and Stratton's website. You can aquire a manual by entering your model #, code, and type.

From the B & S web side you can download the Owners manual and the parts book in about a dozen languages.
But you can not get a service manual, they have to be purchased.

However if you go to another forum Briggs & Statton Repair Manuals! - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information you will find a nice poster has done an excellent job listing all of the known available service manuals that are a free download.

Some one here cross referenced this post a while back, God bless his worn out fingers.
Some of the links ar a bit funny and if you choose to save a copy please check the diagrams & photos.'
For some reason I could view themon line them but they did not appear in the saved copy.

T

Tinkerer200

If you have trouble locating a Service Manual, I can send you one, address below, put in proper format and remind me model number and what you want.

When ever you have a bent push rod you need to try to find out WHY. Two main reasons is slipper valve guide or sticking valve. Moved valve guide s usually due to cooling problem from plugged cooling fins and or cooling shroud. IF sticking valve, top cylinder lube may help.

I have fix for slipped valve guide also.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

PS: Valve springs are all the same length, IF one is actually shorter it must be broken perhaps causing your engine to run on one cylinder.