Briggs and Stratton 23HP Intek Governor overspeeding

christophert

Threads
I need some help. I changed the bottom end gasket on a Briggs and Stratton 23HP Intek engine. I marked the governor shaft where it was set before I removed the sump. In my zeal to clean up the sump before I reinstalled it, I wiped off my reference mark. I have put the engine back on the mower and its over-revving. I readjusted the governor by holding the throttle wide open, turned the governor clockwise until it stops and tightened everything down. The engine idles fine at low RPM, but bump up the throttle slightly the RPM's go to high. Where should I go next? I appreciate any assistance!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 23HP Intek Governor overspeeding
You may want to try resetting the governor shaft. I find that you have to hold the governor shaft in place with some slight force while tightening the nut to keep the governor flyweights from rotating the shaft slightly,

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You may want to try resetting the governor shaft. I find that you have to hold the governor shaft in place with some slight force while tightening the nut to keep the governor flyweights from rotating the shaft slightly,

AND holding the throttle linkage wide open while doing so !

christophert

Threads
Got the 2 Governor springs on the throttle control bracket in the right locations.. if so, it might be a problem with the governor in the sump ?? do you have a Shop Manual ?? Post your engine info as shown in the EXAMPLE..

View attachment 40188

You might want to have a look at these videos......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOoArROpM_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi3uEdiRD2A
The shop manual I have does not cover a 23HP Intek. I didn't remove the springs when I slid the governor arm off the shaft, so they are still in the same position. The numbers on my engine are:
Model: 445877
Type: 0760 B1
Code: 08010 2YG
Thanks for the help.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The shop manual I have does not cover a 23HP Intek. I didn't remove the springs when I slid the governor arm off the shaft, so they are still in the same position. The numbers on my engine are:
Model: 445877
Type: 0760 B1
Code: 08010 2YG
Thanks for the help.

From what I found in my files, your Manual should be # 273521,.. actually your engine is a bored out regular twin with better refinements, appears the stroke is the same as my old 21 Hp twin,we use the same Twin Manual........just be aware of code dates

christophert

Threads
From what I found in my files, your Manual should be # 273521,.. actually your engine is a bored out regular twin with better refinements, appears the stroke is the same as my old 21 Hp twin,we use the same Twin Manual........just be aware of code dates
Thanks for the information on the manual, I ordered it. You mentioned a potential issue internally with the governor. Beyond pulling the engine off and removing the sump any way to test it mechanically? I opened the throttle to wide open, and then turned the governor shaft clockwise till it stopped. The throttle will not come back to low idle when it starts.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the information on the manual, I ordered it. You mentioned a potential issue internally with the governor. Beyond pulling the engine off and removing the sump any way to test it mechanically? I opened the throttle to wide open, and then turned the governor shaft clockwise till it stopped. The throttle will not come back to low idle when it starts.

Cancel the Manual order, ...... I can send FREE ..... here's the link

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ySkZjTTA5TGltZEE/edit

Check the linkage procedures in this Manual... use the specs for model # 445777

WHAT Manual were or are, you using presently ..???

christophert

Threads
Cancel the Manual order, ...... I can send FREE ..... here's the link

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ySkZjTTA5TGltZEE/edit

Check the linkage procedures in this Manual... use the specs for model # 445777

WHAT Manual were or are, you using presently ..???

The manual we have here in the shop is a Briggs Supplemental Manual. My experience with Briggs engines goes back 40+ years ago when me and my daddy worked on my go-kart engines. My experience with small engines is primarily with 2 stroke and Honda commercial engines. So, with V-Twin Briggs I'm am a little behind the curve. Thanks for the manual.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The manual we have here in the shop is a Briggs Supplemental Manual. My experience with Briggs engines goes back 40+ years ago when me and my daddy worked on my go-kart engines. My experience with small engines is primarily with 2 stroke and Honda commercial engines. So, with V-Twin Briggs I'm am a little behind the curve. Thanks for the manual.

Keep us updated Chris........ it helps other members with the same issue.