Export thread

Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP Intek / Run, Smoke (A lot of White Smoke!), Cut Off

R

Rascal1#

Greetings,

Brand Noob member here. The site/forum looks like the lion share of knowledge, guidance, and advise for small gas engines. I have a Simplicity Express Tractor Mower with a Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP Intek. It is a used Lawn Tractor (Simplicity Express 15.5HP) that appears to have been well cared for by the prior owner. It has many new parts, 4 Tires, Battery, Mower Blades. I purchased last May 2023 for $500.

Summary; the engine has developed a run, smoke (a lot), and cut off issue. I was not able to get past the issue and keep it running after about a dozen attempts.

Briggs and Stratton 15.5 Intek (Simplicity Express Riding Tractor Mower)

The numbers were a little hard to see, engine identification:
Model: 285707 (could be 28S707)
Type: 1150-E1
Code: 9903222D (It could be 99G3222

Problem(s):
  • Engine will start and runs for about 15-20 seconds then Cuts Off.
  • Whether using choke or no choke Fast or Slow carburetor setting.
  • Has white smoke coming out of exhaust.
  • There is what appears to be Fuel that is black and tainted with oil coming out of the exhaust pipe.
  • I had noticed this liquid coming out of exhaust the last few mows but it was a small amount.
  • Now there is a puddle of the black mixed Fuel/Oil.
The white smoke it produces is of a Ginormous amount in the 15-20 seconds of running.
The neighbors asked if something was a fire, however I couldn't see them for the smoke just hear them LOL!!!
*The last 2 mows engine would start, smoke white for about 10 seconds, then would run fine with no issues. Completed mow with no issues.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am very mechanically inclined and handy. I suspect/hope it is something in the fuel/air delivery regulation re: carburetor.

Ask:
  • Advise on the potential problem(s) and recommendation for replacement or rebuild parts. If it is the carburetor I am inclined to do a full rebuild when the carburetor is apart versus replace a one or a few carburetor components.
  • Best Parts store with good reviews/reputation, especially for getting the right part(s) the first time.
  • Any other preventive maintenance advise. I have already purchased a fuel petcock on/off valve and new fuel line. As I was informed this prevents carburetor issues with above located (gravity) fuel tanks.
Thanks in advance for input and guidance!

-Rascal

I

ILENGINE

Remove the dipstick and make sure the oil is at the correct level and not overfilled or smells like gas which would indicate a carb float valve leaking issue. But I suspect your main problem is a blown head gasket.

R

Rascal1#

Remove the dipstick and make sure the oil is at the correct level and not overfilled or smells like gas which would indicate a carb float valve leaking issue. But I suspect your main problem is a blown head gasket.
Thanks for the reply and advise. I thought it was something more than a carburetor issue. I ordered a Gasket kit and have reviewed the YouTube instructions. It looks like a 4-5 hour job for a first timer to replace the head gasket. Baring no issues...

I have a nice solid lifter cam in my 383 stroker '73 Camaro that I have adjusted the rockers/valves many times. It looks like this should help in adjusting the rocker arms in assembly on the Briggs & Stratton OHV.

R

Rascal1#

Well... I decided to replace the Head Gasket based on guidance, circumstances, and evaluation. Upon removing the Head I discovered no issue with the head gasket. No visible issue with the Head Gasket at all, none.

Oh well, it happens. The first Gasket Set I received had the wrong Head Gasket replacement; both size and configuration were incorrect. I re-ordered in hopes of receiving on a Sunday so I could complete the repair before the weekend was over. Once again effed over by Amazon. I received a Head Gasket that was obviously previously installed, removed, and had slight damage to the Head Gasket.

Can someone please recommend a parts suppliers/store that is reputable, especially when it comes to selling the correct and new parts. A site sponsor and/or advertiser parts store would be fine.

As stated previously listed below are the engine identification.

I would prefer the Gasket Kit that includes the Head Gasket, Rocker Cover gasket, Exhaust & Intake gaskets.

Briggs and Stratton 15.5 Horse Power Intek (Simplicity Express Riding Tractor Mower)

The numbers were a little hard to see, engine identification:
Model: 285707
Type: 1150-E1
Code: 9903222D (It could be 99G3222

Thanks!
-Rascal