Briggs 4.5 yard machines not priming

fredtheperson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I have a yard machines 4.5 briggs. This is an older model 11A-084E729. I've tried to get the briggs number, but can't seem to get that right. I just put in a diaphragm number 5083. This helped the engine run better, but not the problem.

The primer pump does not pump gas unless I hold my finger over (or otherwise plug) a small hole to the left and below the orange bulb. The engine will stall if I don't keep that hole closed. The priming bulb looked ok to me when I checked it. On another thread if I read it correctly, someone said that a new carb might be in order or adding another diaphragm. I can add a diaphragm, but the mower is too old and decrepit to bother with the expense of replacing the carb. Am I on the right track? If there was epoxy or something to plug up the hole, I would be fine with that as well as it seems to work fine with that hole plugged. I just need it to hold up through this season.

edit: the hole is meant to be there...a couple inches of plastic tunnel like structure that opens into the carb on one side and into the air on the other. Akin to a small tube, but built in.

thanks

TFP

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That small hole that you are talking about. Is it just above the mounting surface of the carb, on the left side. Sticks like a short tube. I suspect the little sealing bb has come out, You may be able to epoxy it and see what happens.

I am assuming this the tank mounted carb engine, if not then disregard the above.

fredtheperson

Forum Newbie
Threads
That small hole that you are talking about. Is it just above the mounting surface of the carb, on the left side. Sticks like a short tube. I suspect the little sealing bb has come out, You may be able to epoxy it and see what happens.

I am assuming this the tank mounted carb engine, if not then disregard the above.

Thanks, I had trouble describing it, but you have it right. What did you mean by bb? I assume that is not replaceable? Any hints on an epoxy to use?

Appreciate your help.

Edit: I used a piece of plastic cut from a gas can cap lanyard and a soldering iron to plug the hole. Hoping it holds...looks solid..should definitely be gas proof.
thanks again.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The BB that I talked about isn't replaceable. It is actually not suppose to come out, but they do on rare cases. What you did should work fine.