Briggs 10 HP in a Murray ride on

Acprc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

My father in law has a Murray 10/30 ride on fitted with a Briggs&Stratton 10hp 28a707-0113-01 engine. Normally the unit is fine but a few days ago it suddenly stopped. Cranking the engine on the starter would not get the engine to fire again or indeed turn over. After charging the battery and trying again it was clear that the engine was seized or locked. At this point I found that the engine was low on oil. I removed the rear bodywork to get at the engine and removed the top shroud to get at the fan and flywheel. After turning the engine flywheel a bit we managed to free up the engine.

After rebuilding the bodywork the engine spins freely great on the starter. We have a good spark. Sadly though the engine will just not fire. It appears to be lacking fuel. The fuel system wasn't touched and was perfect before the engine stopped as the mower had been running for a good 15 mins. There is no obvious reason to understand the non start apart from an internal engine failure caused by the sudden stop.

Appreciate any help or tips anybody could give. The next step maybe a complete strip down to remove the engine head.

Thanks

Adam (UK)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do a compression check. You might of scored the cylinder walls?

msgtusmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

My father in law has a Murray 10/30 ride on fitted with a Briggs&Stratton 10hp 28a707-0113-01 engine. Normally the unit is fine but a few days ago it suddenly stopped. Cranking the engine on the starter would not get the engine to fire again or indeed turn over. After charging the battery and trying again it was clear that the engine was seized or locked. At this point I found that the engine was low on oil. I removed the rear bodywork to get at the engine and removed the top shroud to get at the fan and flywheel. After turning the engine flywheel a bit we managed to free up the engine.

After rebuilding the bodywork the engine spins freely great on the starter. We have a good spark. Sadly though the engine will just not fire. It appears to be lacking fuel. The fuel system wasn't touched and was perfect before the engine stopped as the mower had been running for a good 15 mins. There is no obvious reason to understand the non start apart from an internal engine failure caused by the sudden stop.

Appreciate any help or tips anybody could give. The next step maybe a complete strip down to remove the engine head.

Thanks

Adam (UK)
Remove the spark plug and try to start the engine. If engine is in rotor lock, this will blow out the cylinder. Blow it out 3 times. Spray some WD40 in spark plug hole, replace plug, after cleaning and checking gap, and then try to start engine. Ensure fuel flow to carb and check float operation. Clean carb if required. Ensure only fresh fuel is used. You may have to spray starter fluid into carb and complete 10 attempts to start. Ensure crankcase vent hose is attached and clear.