Export thread

bolen gt2000 1224 hrs

J

J_Carr

I have recently found a bolens gt2000. Was just trying to figure some info on it to figure out if it's a good way to go. I bought a cub 2158 a few weeks ago and to my avail it was a dud tried fixing it but couldn't figure it out. So I came Accross this bowen with almost same hours as my cub so I'm kind of weary on the purchase. Is a Bowen GT 2000 with a Kohler Magnum 20 a good tractor. What are some things that go wrong with these. I have about 3.5 acres I will be cutting mainly flat. Thanks in advance for any advice given

BlazNT

BlazNT

In my opinion that is tolo many hours for 3.5 acres of mowing.

J

J_Carr

Yeah that's what I found out with my cub. 30 minutes in AMD it shut down. I am kind of weary.

B

bertsmobile1

Yeah that's what I found out with my cub. 30 minutes in AMD it shut down. I am kind of weary.

The 2100 series Cubs were excellent machines in their day being a mid to lower end commercial / top end residential mower and very worth repairing.
I have near a dozen in my run now that owners have fund out I can resurect them and a few have sold off their new mowers because the Cubs work & cut better than a lot of modern tractors.

So what is wrong with the Cub ?

As for the Bolens GT 2000, a cut above the Cub as it is a real compact tractor, built like a tank, cast iron hydros & pump, power steering & deck lifting.
Everything on it is rebuildable however parts can be a bit difficult as it has not been made for a long while.
Just done a GTX 4000 which is the same thing painted red. ( Troy Bilt)
All the deck linkages had to be sent out for welding & machining as they are NLA and the deck with the shaft driven PTO is very heavy.
A beautiful machine well worth buying & fixing.

J

J_Carr

Bertsmobile1 what wasn't wrong with the cub. We have talked about it before. It was the one that I thought it was overheating but found out in the long run it was only running on one cylinder.

B

bertsmobile1

Ahah.

Sorry if I don't remember you.
If the mower is in reasonable condition and you still have it you might like to fit another engine .
At this time of the season there are a lot of brand new superceeded engines going for 1/2 price.

Good luck with the Bolens, when I was researching the GTX I have just finished I fund this web site which had most of the service information I needed
sonnybolenstractors.com/