Export thread

Blade sharpening

BHLC

BHLC

Curious to see what other methods people are using to sharpen their blades

exotion

exotion

Curious to see what other methods people are using to sharpen their blades

I vice grip mine to my work bench and use a angle grinder to sharpen. Balance has never been an issue I test for vibration and if it is then I use the nail in wall technique to find out which side is heavier and sharpen that side a little bit more I DO NOT GRIND OFF THE WING

M

mowerman05

bought a rotary blade grinder off e bay, major expense but do not have to wait for anyone. Sharp when I want them:smile:

jekjr

jekjr

I have a blade grinder that I bought off of e bay that I use some and there is a guy right up the road that sharpens saws that grinds and balances them for $10 a set that I use some time as well.

Carscw

Carscw

I use a bench grinder and double check balance first with the nail on the wall and then on the cone

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

BHLC

BHLC

I have a bench grinder and a hand grinder, I was thinking of getting a blade grinder but there's a guy around here that'll do a set of 3 for $15. He sharpens better than original manufacturer.

Ric

Ric

I vice grip mine to my work bench and use a angle grinder to sharpen. Balance has never been an issue I test for vibration and if it is then I use the nail in wall technique to find out which side is heavier and sharpen that side a little bit more I DO NOT GRIND OFF THE WING

I prefer a hand grinder to sharpen blades. I hope you do realize that the nail in the wall thing is a total myth? I can't believe that people by into a myth like that. There is No way possible to balance something with out finding its center, that's a proven fact and in order to balance a mower blade you have to find the center of rotation.

M

mowerman05

I have tryed to balance on a nail and then check with a cone balancer, such a big difference. just a little out of balance and my mower seems to shake all over, maybe its just me. Balance every time I sharpen them

BHLC

BHLC

My blades get balanced using the finger tip method!
Step 1- sharpen blade
Step 2- extend arm
Step 3- raise middle finger
Step 4- place hole of blade on finger tip
Step 5- laugh like an S.O.B watching your employee try to pull this balancing method off!!

M

motoman

This forum has a lot of stuff on blade sharpening. Hit the search button and enjoy a favorite topic (next to oil).

BHLC

BHLC

No results...

M

motoman

No results...

Try again. There are 10 pages of stuff under "blade sharpening."

S

sgmgarden

I believe you can buy smaller machines that can sharpen your blades, be careful if you choose to do it yourself though!