Repairs Blade falls off when trying to start

rickpaulos

Threads
I went thru something similar a couple years ago.

My neighbor helped me torch the original bolt off so I could change the blade & bolt. I got a grade 8 bolt from the local hardware store but it wasn't sufficient. The bolt would not hold and the blade came flying off one day. Took a divot out of my asphalt driveway about 20 inches away from my foot!

I then changed out the blade mounting. It was a single bolt through the blade in to the bottom of the crank shaft. There was a square plate with the edges folded over to keep it from spinning. Pretty lame IMO. I got a solid blade bracket that bolts to the crankshaft, and that uses 2 more bolts to hold the blade to the bracket. Much more secure.

I also learned the blade is part of the mass of the flywheel & crankshaft. Trying to start my engine without the blade got me similar results (punched in the chest, motor going backwards, etc). Don't do that again.

PS, the "Slight Groan" is normal in 4 cycle engines. That's the crankcase pressure relief valve doing its job. As the piston goes up & down, the air behind it (inside the crankcase where the oil is) needs someplace to go and get replenished.