Export thread

Black & Decker Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

M

Muhammad

GREETINGS to all Black & Decker mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower has a name :laughing:). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Black & Decker owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Black & Decker mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Black & Decker stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

R

rscamp

Here it is. An SPCM1936 powered with 760Wh of Lithium Polymer cells. Who needs gas or an extension cord to mow a big yard? :)

More info here:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/new-m...lectric-enthusiast-new-forum-5.html#post57838

Attachments

F

floating ground

The little black box at the top of the mower: is that part of your battery management system?

Phil
Here it is. An SPCM1936 powered with 760Wh of Lithium Polymer cells. Who needs gas or an extension cord to mow a big yard? :)

More info here:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/new-m...lectric-enthusiast-new-forum-5.html#post57838

R

rscamp

The little black box at the top of the mower: is that part of your battery management system?

Phil

Well, to some extent it is. It is an old AstroFlight Whattmeter Watt Meters : AstroFlight, Welcome to the AstroFlight online Store so it measures Voltage, Current, Power and Capacity. With the Capacity measurement, you basically have a fuel gauge - i.e. if you have a 15Ah battery and use 10Ah, you have 5Ah left.

This is a "balance-on-charge" arrangement where a hobby charger balances the LiPo battery pack as it is charged. Battery management consists of this balancing plus using the Whattmeter to ensure too much capacity isn't taken out of the pack (or to ensure the pack voltage doesn't get too low) in use...

Mark Widmer

Mark Widmer

Good to see B&D has gone back to having a gauge like they had on the CMM1000. Never understood why the CM1200 didn't have one.

Mark

R

rscamp

Good to see B&D has gone back to having a gauge like they had on the CMM1000. Never understood why the CM1200 didn't have one.

Mark

Do you mean the three position indicator light on the top of the battery box?

Mark Widmer

Mark Widmer

Do you mean the three position indicator light on the top of the battery box?
I meant the AstroFlight Whattmeter. But now that I reread your earlier post, it sounds like that is something you added yourself (or it came with the LiPo batteries you bought?) Pretty nice!

Even if all B&D provided were some indicator lights, that is better than nothing. It is so easy to damage these batteries by running them too long.

R

rscamp

I meant the AstroFlight Whattmeter. But now that I reread your earlier post, it sounds like that is something you added yourself (or it came with the LiPo batteries you bought?) Pretty nice!

Even if all B&D provided were some indicator lights, that is better than nothing. It is so easy to damage these batteries by running them too long.

That Whattmeter is something I bought - back in the early 90s! :) Today, you would probably get one of these:

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Watt Meter & Power Analyzer /Watts up (Ver. 2)

B

Brinybay

Have a B&D CMM1200 that I'm trying to make last another season by replacing the rear axle. The height adjustment wasn't holding because the sprockets were bent and beat. I've run into a snag in that I don't know how to remove the wheels.

Fesdwino

Fesdwino

Checking in. Owned cordless mowers for 10 years +. Current mower is a CMM1000 converted in 2008 to a CMM1200s via a factory recall. On my second set of batteries and still going strong. Thanks to Mark for his blog site - saved me many $$$ by detailing how to repair a broken hinge pin on the switch lever.

S

seanathen

Have a B&D CMM1200 that I'm trying to make last another season by replacing the rear axle. The height adjustment wasn't holding because the sprockets were bent and beat. I've run into a snag in that I don't know how to remove the wheels.

I have the same problem! And there's nothing online about how to remove them. I started a post today asking if anyone can explain this proceedure.

P

petehouk

Hi everyone. I ordered a few little parts from Servicenet for my CMM1200/2a this week and something funny happened. The new front wheels showed up and they were a different color than the originals and didn't match the old rear wheels. So I called the B&D service center in Toledo, hoping that they would waive the shipping charge on some rear wheels and a set of 4 hub caps. When I explained what happened, the service center guy said that he would send me the wheels and hub caps free of charge. I started wondering if he gave me those wheels because I was the first person who had ever called looking for parts to keep his old B&D mower looking sharp with matching wheels. But surely I can't be the only CMM enthusiast out there! So I decided to have another look for a forum of like minded B&D owners. I have looked a forum like this every 3 to 5 years when trying to decide which replacement batteries to get. I am glad that I finally found one!

P

pvwebb

I have a CMM1000 Series 4 and can't remember how long I've had it. Have changed batteries many times. By making voltage measurements and because the charging circuitry still works, I think I need a new switch. My wife said the mower smoked when it wouldn't start, but I see no sign of anything burnt.

T

thesavo

Hello all. I'm Brian from Schenectady Ny. I have an LM175. Corded electric. I picked it up from a garage sale for $10.
LM175_1.jpg

B

billy3p

Thanks for helping to make this forum available

F

Filek

Hello,

New to the thread, I have owned a CMM1200 for about 6 or 7 years. Replaced the original batteries last year with a lithium ion battery that I built from a salvaged Nissan Leaf. I added a volt meter, ammeter, coulomb counter, and capacitor meter and added a few stickers "I leaf no emissions" and "solar powered". I usually recharge with solar panels. I just took a terrible picture as its night time, but I'll upload it mow and add a better one later.20150822_225327-600x1067.jpg

Attachments

P

petehouk

Hello,

New to the thread, I have owned a CMM1200 for about 6 or 7 years. Replaced the original batteries last year with a lithium ion battery that I built from a salvaged Nissan Leaf. I added a volt meter, ammeter, coulomb counter, and capacitor meter and added a few stickers "I leaf no emissions" and "solar powered". I usually recharge with solar panels. I just took a terrible picture as its night time, but I'll upload it mow and add a better one later.View attachment 27144

F

Filek

THIS is the kind of fanatical devotion that the CMM series has been lacking. What a great upgrade! Please post a write up on the Li batteries. I would like some more details on how to do that.

I could do that in the next few days. I do have a few pics of the process, but as I was building the battery, I wasn't thinking of putting a write up anywhere so I didn't do a great job of documenting. I guess the best way to do it would be to start a new thread?

The best thing is that there are more of the batteries available that I used so others could copy my build and enjoy a supercharged electric lawnmower as well.

I don't think I put the specs in my first write up, but the battery is 24 volt (25.2 fully charged) and 30 amp hour so it has much more capcity than the original. The battery can supply up to 120 amps continuously and even more for a few seconds. It is rare that the mower calls for more than 30 amos, but I have seen the amp meter hit 66 a few times (the poor motor!)

D

devidmarkman

Really, it is the nice arrangement of knowing about the many kinds of Black & Decker. Some one suggested to me to see this Decker for my garden. Finally I take it and really it works well. Try it.

G

george0098000

Really, it is the nice arrangement of knowing about the many kinds of Black & Decker. Some one suggested to me to see this Decker for my garden. Finally I take it and really it works well. Try it.
I’m excited to try this methods on a new bed we will add this fall. choose a best self propelled lawn mower 2015 - 2016

N

nerwin49

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a B&D CM1836, and I need to change the battery. But the closest service center is 150 miles away! Can anyone tell me if I can change the battery myself? I am ready to take the cover off and see what's inside ... but if you have done this before, please let me know if you have any helpful hints.

Y

YuriS3

GREETINGS to all Black & Decker mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower has a name :laughing:). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Black & Decker owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Black & Decker mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Black & Decker stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

I bought my CMM 1200 some years ago, it has been doing fine till now. When my battery seemed weak, I found it was the fault of the early model charger. Having replaced it, the battery life was much improved until the mower developed a short and melted it's plastic key. Can't imagine going back to a gas powered mower. YuriS3

J

jeffreydbrown

Hello, all.

I just picked up my first CMM1200 at a yard sale...without a charger. After turning the internet upside-down looking for the "right" charger to buy, I've decided to try a generic trickle charger/maintainer and optionally add some battery health instrumentation (volt/ammeter) to the mower itself. I'm sure I am not the first person to try this, so I would appreciate any advice!

F

Filek

Hello, all.

I just picked up my first CMM1200 at a yard sale...without a charger. After turning the internet upside-down looking for the "right" charger to buy, I've decided to try a generic trickle charger/maintainer and optionally add some battery health instrumentation (volt/ammeter) to the mower itself. I'm sure I am not the first person to try this, so I would appreciate any advice!

A trickle charger might be troublesome as I think that the only way to connect it to the battery would be by taking off the top of the lawnmower which is easy, but a bit of a pain.

Adding a voltmeter and ammeter can be done and if you go to thread that describes how I built and added a lithium battery to the CMM1200, I think there are pictures of voltmeter and ammeter. I have seen other cmm1200 with voltmeters and ammeters. They are handy to help prevent over discharge and abuse of your battery.

If you haven’t already bought a trickle charger, I might still have a charger for my CMM1200. It’s yours if you pay shipping, or you live close and shipping’s not much. Let me know if you want me to go and have a look to see if I still have it.

Brian

S

slaghead

Hello I am new to the forum. I have an 15 yr old simplicity broadmoore with a16 hp v-twin Briggs.It has been very reliable till now. The starter clicks and hums, it won't crank the engine.Battery and starter test out good.

F

Filek

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/show...pgraded-to-lithium-ion-lots-of-power-to-spare!

A link to how I converted my CMM1200 to a 30Ah lithium ion battery

S

Scandoman

I could do that in the next few days. I do have a few pics of the process, but as I was building the battery, I wasn't thinking of putting a write up anywhere so I didn't do a great job of documenting. I guess the best way to do it would be to start a new thread?

The best thing is that there are more of the batteries available that I used so others could copy my build and enjoy a supercharged electric lawnmower as well.

I don't think I put the specs in my first write up, but the battery is 24 volt (25.2 fully charged) and 30 amp hour so it has much more capcity than the original. The battery can supply up to 120 amps continuously and even more for a few seconds. It is rare that the mower calls for more than 30 amos, but I have seen the amp meter hit 66 a few times (the poor motor!)

So are you able to use the same charger?

S

Scandoman

I bought my CMM 1200 some years ago, it has been doing fine till now. When my battery seemed weak, I found it was the fault of the early model charger. Having replaced it, the battery life was much improved until the mower developed a short and melted it's plastic key. Can't imagine going back to a gas powered mower. YuriS3

Same here! Bought the 'new' charger 2 years ago (It's no longer available!)
And just had that same problem with the 'key' 2 days ago!
I ended up taking that clam-shell body of the dead-man switch apart to get at the 'terminal box': the little bar on the 'key' had arced with the 'contact' inside, and burned through it. It's really not made of an adequate material for that purpose!
I was able to clean things up, and shim up the remaining bit of the 'contact', and get it running, but now looking into options...that terminal box is no longer available (although the plastic box it fine); and I don't know if it had come with any metal contacts, anyway.

I am thinking of just buying a switch from electronics distributor, and pulling out that plastic mounting box to make room for it: Just need to find something that fits into ~ 1 cubic inch inside!

What did you do?

Thanks!

F

Filek

So are you able to use the same charger?

No, I can’t use the same charger. The lithium battery requires that each individual cell be monitored while being charged and at some point during the charge process the voltage of all cells should be balanced with each other as well so a new charger had to be purchased.

But I can control the speed that the battery is charged, so, if in a hurry I can crank it and charge the battery in 2.5 hours vs overnight with the old charger.

Y

ydpplqbd

Hello all:

I am new to the forum. I purchased a used/junk Black & Decker CMM1200 cordless mower recently. I purchased the BD electric mower for cleanup of lawn around fruit trees, along borders and around street lights. This is my first cordless electric mower. I took the mower apart today to try and understand why it was not working. This is a great site.

CLSteve

CLSteve

I own a CM2040 cordless lawnmower that just quit.
GREETINGS to all Black & Decker mower owners! ?

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower has a name ?). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

B

BobDoug

GREETINGS to all Black & Decker mower owners! 👍

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower has a name 😆). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Bob with a 7 year old-ish CLMA4820L2 or similar…I cannot find the actual model number anywhere on the mower. Purchased at Menards

I

I have MM2000

Hi,
Just joined looking, for repair info.

petewil

petewil

Hi I'm Pete. I have a CM1000 mower for 18 years. Just replaced batteries. The switch that allows the power to flow (the orange plug you have to insert) has stopped working. Any thoughts?

GREETINGS to all Black & Decker mower owners! 👍

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower has a name 😆). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.