Export thread

Big Box Store Lawn Tractors

R

Rickcin

Not sure if I misinterpreted a comment in a thread so I need to ask the question.

Are the lawn tractors being sold by Lowes and Home Depot being manufactured to a lower standard to minimize the pricing? Thanks

B

bertsmobile1

Where they can get away with it.
In many cases the Big Box mower will be a lower spec so it looks the same but is cheaper.

S

SeniorCitizen

Not sure if I misinterpreted a comment in a thread so I need to ask the question.

Are the lawn tractors being sold by Lowes and Home Depot being manufactured to a lower standard to minimize the pricing? Thanks

If the numbers are identical good examples of this are seldom provided and it's mostly people that are filling the atmosphere with smoke.

C

csmlet

Talk to your local dealer, I talked to the John Deere and Cub Cadet dealer and both told me they were the same mower. Only difference is when it needs warranty work and you take it to the dealer it is put on the back shelf until they have all their "customers" repair work completed.

Boobala

Boobala

I may be wrong .... but THEE only "Big-Box" store I know of that performs maint. & serviceing of the equipment they sell is a place
named Rural-King ..... at least here in the Ocala, Fl. area they do .. Others may ... but I am not aware of them . .....Boobala

J

Jack17

Up here if they have 'tool rental' they'll have 'repair shop' right next to it.

B

bertsmobile1

When you start repairing a lot of big box store mowers you start to notice a lot of things are cheaper.
Some of the things that I have noticed.
1) deck is pressed from lighter grade of steel
2) blades are lighter
3) cables are lighter
4) strengthening plates are omitted
5) smaller diameter self tapping fasteners used in a lot of places
6) fewer fasteners on body panels.
7) frames made from thinner steels.

I have noticed this mostly on mowers from the AYP factory.
Now AYP make a lot of identical looking mowers for a lot of different companies so light weight parts are usually found on low end brands, because they are cheap low end brands designed to compete against the cheap Chinese mowers.
However I also see the cheap low end brand parts fitted to more expensive brands .
And mostly these came from a discount department store not a brand franchise dealer.
Now I am in OZ so things might be different here.

The local push mower assembly plants all made cheaper versions of their products for the discount department stores.

Boobala

Boobala

Shamefully true ....
When you run across a lot of mechanical items , mowers, cars, guns, outboard motors, common hand-tools, garden tools etc., etc., etc.
I find it easy to recognize the difference in quality , and craftsmanship. The days of "pride" in one's work has become ...
how much can I get for it & how fast !! True tradesmen / craftsmen are disappearing rapidly, perhaps our military with an
increasing inventory of "outdated" items and a numbered few of financially solvent companies is the last stronghold of our "ancient" principles and methods that were handed down generation to generation .
Granted, THERE are still many things out "there" today bearing the marks of a craftsman ...meticulously precise , born of dedication to ethics of a person with high standards , brought forth with little or no regard for the amount of time required for it's evolution, most likely it's arrival was prompted by necessity, but more so by desire . And the persons, able to differentiate between quality
and garbage, is also beginning to wane. I'll easily agree modern technology has given us many great things and the "tools" to build
them , BUT ... do we build things to last a PERSONS lifetime or that... of a guess, of the constructive materials lifetime ???
It is unfortunate that todays things of quality have to compete with "garbage" in the price of "goods" ...... Boobala

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

Wal Mart power tools are made cheaper for the exact same model you could purchase at a mom n pop store.If a big box store comes to you. I'll buy 1 million units at x price to sale for y. Because y is lower than their competition they will sale . The manufacture will retool just to complete the order for x price per units and still be profitable.

R

Rickcin

Wal Mart power tools are made cheaper for the exact same model you could purchase at a mom n pop store.If a big box store comes to you. I'll buy 1 million units at x price to sale for y. Because y is lower than their competition they will sale . The manufacture will retool just to complete the order for x price per units and still be profitable.

Yes, I know for a fact that many plumbing fixtures sold at the big box stores are built to a lower standard than those sold at a plumbing supply shop, that is a fact!

Today I bought the same size (6gallon) Cherry Laurel from Lowes and bought the same exact shrub and size from a Nursery yesterday at a much higher price. The difference, the big box shrub had a tiny root ball in the 6 gallon pot that was filled with mulch while the Nursery shrub root ball filled the 6 gallon pail. So, you're paying less but getting less. It just so happens that my circumstances allowed me to see the difference while most others will not and never realize it. The focus is on the shrub, above the pot!

That be said, I still have no info to indicate if this is true for Lawn Tractors???

RDA.Lawns

RDA.Lawns

I will tell you what my local dealer told me once. (John Deere) Yes it has JD name. Yes it has JD green paint. No they won't do the warranty work for the big box stores. He said they are constructed to a lower quality. True or not . I don't know. I don't like JD products. I'm running 3 crews
We have been all toro and all Maruyama for years. This year I couldn't get my dealer to work with me like he had in the past. So I purchased a new bobcat pro cat. From a different dealer. They bent over backwards to take care of my needs.

I

ILENGINE

I will tell you what my local dealer told me once. (John Deere) Yes it has JD name. Yes it has JD green paint. No they won't do the warranty work for the big box stores. He said they are constructed to a lower quality. True or not . I don't know. I don't like JD products. I'm running 3 crews
We have been all toro and all Maruyama for years. This year I couldn't get my dealer to work with me like he had in the past. So I purchased a new bobcat pro cat. From a different dealer. They bent over backwards to take care of my needs.

I had a JD dealer tell me once that they wouldn't warranty items sold at Home Depot. Until I called corporate, and asked them why their dealers refuse to do warranty work on their products sold at Home Depot or from other dealers. About half hour later the dealer called me and said they would take care of any warranty issues I may have. JD dealers are required by contract to service and repair all items manufactured by JD no matter were sold. It is a requirement of their contract with JD.

C

csmlet

I had a JD dealer tell me once that they wouldn't warranty items sold at Home Depot. Until I called corporate, and asked them why their dealers refuse to do warranty work on their products sold at Home Depot or from other dealers. About half hour later the dealer called me and said they would take care of any warranty issues I may have. JD dealers are required by contract to service and repair all items manufactured by JD no matter were sold. It is a requirement of their contract with JD.

My old 2009 John Deere LA 115 lawn tractor came from a box store and had a sticker affixed to it from the local John Deere service center stating they were the local servicing center for warranty repairs. Got it repaired there twice during the warranty period without any trouble. They just told me as I stated earlier they would repair their own first before the ones not bought from them. This is understandable.

R

Rickcin

That makes sense, how could an authorized dealer refuse to service a product manufacturered by a product they make.

I would like to find out if Cub Cadet or Husqvarna are made differently for Lowes or Home Depot!

Carscw

Carscw

That makes sense, how could an authorized dealer refuse to service a product manufacturered by a product they make. I would like to find out if Cub Cadet or Husqvarna are made differently for Lowes or Home Depot!
They are made at the same place buy a same people they are exactly the same in a big box store as they are from a dealer

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

C

csmlet

They are made at the same place buy a same people they are exactly the same in a big box store as they are from a dealer

Just verified this from the local John Deere and Cub Cadet dealers

R

Rickcin

Just verified this from the local John Deere and Cub Cadet dealers

Nice job, thanks for the answer!

R

Rickcin

It still might be better to purchase from a dealer since if the box store does not set it up properly with the deck, belts, etc, there could be a problem down the road.

I would be interested to see the price difference.

S

SeniorCitizen

The smoke is beginning to clear some but I suspect there will always be smoldering embers from those without any concrete facts that just like to blow smoke. Please give those folks a little break being it's a birth defect, called diarrhea mouth, rather than a disease that can be cured. :laughing:

C

csmlet

It still might be better to purchase from a dealer since if the box store does not set it up properly with the deck, belts, etc, there could be a problem down the road.

I agree wholeheartedly, always better to buy from a dealer, imo. The price is the same around here, except I could get a 10% military discount from Lowe's and HD. But went with the dealer because of the service.

J

Jack17

Most dealers will match the price of their competitors.

R

Rickcin

Most dealers will match the price of their competitors.

I agree and would always give a dealer a chance to be competitive and I will be willing to pay a little more hoping that it will come back to me at some point in time.

Carscw

Carscw

Home Depot will also price match.
And you can negotiate price and get a better deal.
Big box store employees do not set the mowers up. There is a company that goes to the stores and sets them up.

bakerg

bakerg

Bought my JD D110 from Lowes here in Canada and it had the sticker from the local JD dealer on it. Was told by both the dealer and Lowes that the mower was setup when new and warranty claims were both done by the dealer. Dealer is actually closer to me but could not beat Lowes pricing. Salesman was an old high school buddy and told me to buy it from Lowes. I get all my parts for it from the dealer as they are cheaper. An oil filter from dealer is almost 1/2 the price.

bakerg

bakerg

Home Depot will also price match.
And you can negotiate price and get a better deal.
Big box store employees do not set the mowers up. There is a company that goes to the stores and sets them up.

Bought a bagger for the D110 and Lowes was cheaper than Home Depot or the dealer but I bought it from Home Depot because of their policy of matching the price plus another 10% discount.

C

csmlet

I bought my cub cadet from the local dealer, yes Home Depot would match price but the dealer only charged 3% sales tax where Home depot charges 9%. That nearly made up for the price difference plus getting from dealer is always best, imo.

R

Rickcin

I would love to get it from a dealer as well but the price difference has a lot to do with it. Neighbors on both sides of me who both have lawn tractors believe that big box tractors are built with some different parts! Who knows????

B

bertsmobile1

So you are a social security recipiant with massive medical bills and just barely surviving from one cheque to the next ? You have my sympathies & support
Or is you mind so peverse you can not pay 1¢ for anything without having nightmares & loosing sleep for 10 years ? You should be on the medical forum for treatment.

SO you can not manage to pay a bit more to support your local dealer but you expect a pile of people here, many of who are either dealers or work for dealers to come on line and fix your mowers problems for free ?
Life is much like a good marriage, you have to put in and sometimes take a little pain for long term benefits.

Carscw

Carscw

Most big box stores also have a 30 day guarantee if you're not happy with the mower you can return it within 30 days dealers do not have that option.

I do buy my parts from a local dealer because most the time he is cheaper than what you can get the same part for on eBay. He also stocks my hard to find toro blades that toro only used for one year.
The parts department also has a cell phone so you can text them what you need. They text you back within minutes.

Max Headroom

Max Headroom

Big box stores attract the home consumer (like myself) who's lawn maintenance needs are less than their professional or large land owner counterparts. If my needs were more commercial, I would definitely choose the dealer over the BBS. However, I am a small land owner and my needs are strictly consumer grade. And the BBS offers me the best prices for the consumer grade equipment I require.

I hold the independent dealer with the same regard as I would a sports pro shop. If it was something I needed professional quality, I would turn to the local pro shop and not Sports Authority. However, if it is the first pair of skates for my 2 year old. I will go to Walmart.