BG 86 carb adjustment issues

Bounje

Threads
Hey there,

I did a bit of maintenance on my BG 86 a couple days ago. It's been running a fair amount lately for snow removal purposes and I didn't get a chance to do fall maintenance.

Cleaned out the carb (ultrasonic cleaner),
cleaned/burned off spark plug (a little black) and checked gap,
cleaned out fuel tank,
replaced tank vent,
blew out air filter,
burned off spark arrestor,
and tightened things up

Everything appears to be in good order and put back correctly. I am just trying to get my RPMs to their optimal setting. I am using an EZ Tach tachometer to adjust the carb.

The problem is that I can't get the idle speed down to 2500 rpm which I understand is the unit's spec. When I try to set it lower than 3000 RPM or so the engine will choke when throttled. The high speed is around 6800-7400 rpm which I think is good because max rpm is 7500.

I have watched numerous Youtube videos on tuning carburetors but am stumped with this machine. Maybe it is my lack of understanding of the adjustment screws including the LA screw that is hindering me but this machine seems to only accept a certain speed of idle RPMs to function well.

Just trying to learn this skill so I can best tune my small engines even though some of them will eventually be switched out for battery powered units.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If it is the two mixture screw version then you have enrich the L mixture. This is from the service manual.

1709638169216.png

Last edited: