Export thread

Better ride quality?

R

retfr8flyr

I have a Raptor SD 48 and I am looking for a little softer ride, I have very bad arthritis in my back, that is getting worse, so I would like a softer ride. Do the flex forks work very well and does anyone know of a better seat, with good spring assist, that will fit the SD?

C

cruzenmike

http://seat-warehouse.com/product/s...-bad-boygravelydeeretoroscaghustlerexmark-ff/

This may be the cheapest way to go and should help a bit. There are more expensive options such as air suspension seats and so on, but like I said, they are expensive. Could always look into a Ferris with full chassis suspension or some yard work to try and smooth things out?

D

DK35vince

Try a suspension seat first.
Flex forks help take some of the sharpness out of the bumps, but don't help as much as the seat.

B

bertsmobile1

And if that is no good, upgrade to a full suspension mower.
No use killing yourself cutting the grass and the most expensive full suspension mower is a lot cheaper and less painful than a spinal fusion of hip replacement.
The other option for a softer ride is a Quad or ATV with a tow behind mower, again not cheap but neither is health care.

R

retfr8flyr

http://seat-warehouse.com/product/s...-bad-boygravelydeeretoroscaghustlerexmark-ff/

This may be the cheapest way to go and should help a bit. There are more expensive options such as air suspension seats and so on, but like I said, they are expensive. Could always look into a Ferris with full chassis suspension or some yard work to try and smooth things out?

Thanks for the tip. I have ordered one and will see how it does.

mhavanti

mhavanti

retfr8flyr,

I installed the Seat Warehouse suspension seat kit under my SD60 seat and it makes a huge improvement. I have the upgrade seat already and that rascal was trying to break my back which already has three fractures. Don't need any more back pain as it is.

So, I'm betting you'll love it.

Max

PS, When you install the seat, grab a couple of female spade connectors, a couple of male spade connectors, some 14 gauge wire, to extend the seat switch harness and some 1/4" fuel hose to make a soft edge all the way around the opening in the seat deck so the harness doesn't fray. I also added a seat belt to help hold me back into the seat to keep my back straighter or in line so the bumps doesn't hurt the back as much. Here are the wiring harness extension and you'll see the abrasion guard (fuel hose) I placed around the seat base hole. Had to get more hose to make it go all the way around although what you see in the photo is more than sufficient.

Seat Belt & Suspension Seat Kit.jpgSeat Safety Switch Harness Extension and Abrasion Guard installation.jpgSeat Safety Switch Harness Extension and Abrasion Guard installation 2.jpg

R

retfr8flyr

Well I got my spring assisted sear from Seat Warehouse and installed it, what an amazing difference. You just can't believe such a simple addition could make such a difference. I also ordered the flex forks and they will be here this week. I don't expect as much from them as I got from the seat but with them both installed, I think I will be able to cut my yard with a lot less pain.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Earl,

Can't wait to hear how you feel about the flex forks. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for them without seeing them and feeling them in action. Let us all know how they work out for you brother.

Max

R

retfr8flyr

Will do, I just got an email from the place I ordered from and they ran out of stock. Said they should have more in the end of the week and will ship when they have them. When I get to give them a try I'll report back.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Earl,

Did you order it from an individual or a dealer? What did they hit you for them if you don't mind me asking. If you prefer not replying here. Send me a private message or email me at mhavanti@yahoo.com if you don't mind.

Hope you get them fairly soon and they work great for you.

Thanks in advance,

Max

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Hustler mower "FLEX FORKS", it appears prices vary between $200 - $300 depending on where you purchase them.

https://www.hustlerlawnmowerparts.c...rks-x-one-hustler-genuine-part-number-603162/

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hustler-Fl...OpeMaintenance/Accessories-_-50433776:Hustler

https://www.smallenginesprodealer.c...art-number-605123-hustler-authentic-oem-part/

http://www.psep.biz/store/hustler_lawn_mower_flex_forks.htm#HUS605677

Then of course there's always Ebay, which a pair sold for $155 (not including the price of shipping).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/hustler-su...g-lawn-mower-front-caster-forks-/390661588646

Original Ebay add Full Description: http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBay...descgauge=1&cspheader=1&oneClk=1&secureDesc=0

Last, another final source would be by just placing an order directly from your local Hustler Authorized Sales & Service dealer which would be ordered directly from Hustler Corp.?

But be prepared to paid a high $ price!

Over all from reading several reviews it appears as though they are favorable.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mr. Mower,

I once sent in an offer for a set of Flex Forks and I believe that is the set I bid on. However, when I pinned the fella down on the fit for a Raptor SD, he finally told me they would not fit. I really don't think he knew for sure. However, he gave me enough doubt to pass on them.

I still wonder if a Super Z fits the Raptor SD and I never received a reply on that question from Excel Industries. Maybe I'll hit them up again.

Max

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

mhavanti, the following site list several different models of Hustler mowers along with, what appears to be the actual Flex Forks that go with them along with the set price/cost of each (not including shipping of course).

http://www.psep.biz/store/hustler_lawn_mower_flex_forks.htm#HUS605677

I originally listed the site in my previous post.

I take it that SD stands for Super Duty?...if so then on the site starting from top to bottom, it is number 2 on the list......because for my model it follows as number 3 on the list.

But really to know for a fact, exactly which Flex Forks are for your particular model it's always best to inquiry directly from Hustler Corp. or from an authorized Hustler dealer, that's what I would do.

Or even check your original manual, maybe it list FLex Forks under "accessories", etc.

Because it's so disappointing to order something then when it arrives, come to find out it is the incorrect part number, model, etc.

R

retfr8flyr

The 48 inch deck SD takes #600213, the 54 and 60 inch deck SD takes the #605123

D

Darryl G

Just wondering what you're running for tire pressures? You can run both the front and rears as low as 8 psi, which will make a significant difference compared to the high-end recommended pressure of 12 psi.

Note that it's not uncommon for dealers to leave tires at shipping pressure, which is usually in the 20s and would give a really harsh ride. You will have to re-level the deck if you change tire pressures though.

R

retfr8flyr

I run my tire pressure at 8 psi, to try and get the best ride quality.

D

DK35vince

I also run my tire pressure at 7-8 PSI.

B

bige1919

I recently installed the seat suspension kit on my hustler sd 54. The change was not as much as I was expecting, and I'm wondering if I installed it incorrectly. Did you guys bolt the bottom of the suspension directly to the seat platform, or do your seats have the slide tracks? The instructions say something about an adapter bracket if you don't have slide tracks to give the suspension enough travel room. My hustler does not have slide tracks and I bolted the bottom suspension directly to the seat platform, I'm wondering if I need to put some spacers in there to give it some room to go up and down more.

Thanks,
Eric

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mounted mine directly to the seat platform and it works great.

B

bige1919

Mounted mine directly to the seat platform and it works great.

Hmm ok. Maybe I just didn't turn the knob enough in the soft direction. I didn't really feel much up and down cushion when I tried it out the first time.

mhavanti

mhavanti

You probably needed to turn it clockwise, not counter-clockwise. To help your ride, most likely it needed more than less spring.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Is this what you were reading on your installation instructions?

FORE/AFT ADJUSTERS and SUSPENSION KITS

If the seat is to be installed with fore/aft adjusters and or a suspension kit. Mount the adjusters to the seat bottom using the mounting bolts described above, then secure to the suspension kit. Orient the adjuster handle and weight adjustment handle to properly project out the front side of the seat. This handle can be used to unlock the adjusters, which will allow the seat to slide backwards and forward to a comfortable latched position for the operator. Check to ensure that the seat or suspension kit does not strike any part of the cab, wiring or any of the controls as it is moved through the fore/aft stroke. Ensure the seat is locked in place before operating the equipment. Do not operate the adjusters while the equipment is moving. Do not operate the equipment if the adjusters are loose, broken, or malfunctioning.

The installer must ensure that the suspension is positioned and mounted properly so that the seat, safety belts, tether belts, tether mounting points and floor anchor points meet FMVSS 207/210 SEA standards and others when applicable. The installer must also ensure that there is adequate head clearance above the seat for the occupant while the vehicle/machine is in motion. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

B

bige1919

No, my instructions say:

"Bolt slide tracks to the bottom of the suspension. If your machine is not equipped with slide tracks, then spacers will be needed to mount the suspension to the machine. This will allow it to move up and down freely. Approx 3/4 inch will be sufficient."

Also I just spoke with customer service at seat warehouse, they confirmed slide tracks or spacers are needed for hustler raptors underneath the suspension. They sell slide tracks and longer wires specifically for hustler raptors. I think i'm going to get the slide tracks so I can move the seat back and forth as needed.

So if you think it feels good now bolted directly to the base, it might feel even better if you add spacers or slide tracks.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Mine doesn't mention the need of spacers. However, it can't hurt to give that a try. Although it is already higher than I'd like it, I guess another half an inch couldn't hurt.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Just got off the phone with Seat Warehouse myself. The lady was very nice. Is going to have to find out exactly how much downward travel the seat suspension kit requires to be totally free of bottoming out on the Raptor seat deck. She said their seat suspension kit requires one inch of movement, however, she did not know if that was one inch of aggregate movement which includes half inch upward and half inch downward.

She is going to the manufacturer business owner and the engineer and will be sending me an email to cover it in writing.

It turns out the seat kit I received was not the same as you received which is the newly specific to the Raptor. Mine was purchased back in January before the seat adjustment track and wiring harness extension was included.

I will remove and replace my seat in order to give it the required travel and do another video and this time make sure there is plenty of coverage on the video and why the downward travel is necessary.

Thanks for the head's up.

Max

B

bige1919

Mine doesn't mention the need of spacers. However, it can't hurt to give that a try. Although it is already higher than I'd like it, I guess another half an inch couldn't hurt.

Yeah, I don't really want make mine any higher either. I already added spacers between the seat and the suspension so the the kill switch had enough room, and with the seat in the middle location, the bars hit the arm rests when I go into reverse. I'm on the shorter side and don't like the seat all the way back, so i guess I just won't be using the armrests after installing the slide rails also. It will be worth it if it saves my back though :)

mhavanti

mhavanti

Thought I might add the mounting instructions for a Raptor SD for those interested in the factory suggested installation. I'm giving thought to making a recessed mounting plate brackets to lower the mounting plate and inch and a half so that the raised seat with suspension kit will then come closer to the original height, although it will still be higher.

As I get to that, I'll make drawings and a video of how it is done.

Find below the link to the instructions and photos for the Raptor SD and stay tuned!

http://seat-warehouse.com/ product/seat-suspension-kit- assembly-fits-hustler-raptor- and-sport-zero-turn-mowers-xx/

R

retfr8flyr

Just wanted to note that I got the Hustler specific spring kit http://seat-warehouse.com/product/s...hustler-raptor-and-sport-zero-turn-mowers-xx/ and install was very easy. I don't know how the other versions will fit the SD but I know this one fits great.

B

bradmc

Yeah, I don't really want make mine any higher either. I already added spacers between the seat and the suspension so the the kill switch had enough room, and with the seat in the middle location, the bars hit the arm rests when I go into reverse. I'm on the shorter side and don't like the seat all the way back, so i guess I just won't be using the armrests after installing the slide rails also. It will be worth it if it saves my back though :)

@bige1919, what did you use as a spacer for the seat? I need to add them to mine as well. I can feel the pressure switch poking me through the seat, so it is surely hitting the suspension and I don't want to damage it.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Brad,

You can adjust your sticks forward a slight bit and make your arm rests available again. Put the seat where you want it first.

Good luck,

Max

O

over40mower

I just installed the Seat Warehouse suspension on my Raptor 42.
I mounted it on 3/4" x 2" pieces of Ipe. (Hard wood).
Definite ride improvement.
$139. Delivered.
Looks sturdy and we'll made.

mhavanti

mhavanti

Over40,

Glad you got it in and installed. Even better, it made an improvement. I mowed the entire yard today with the flex forks installed. Between the seat suspension (without any added elevation) and the flex forks. I hereby profess the two together is fantastic.

One thing I surely hoped you did was encased your hardwood with several coats of polyurethane to seal from the humidity and any other method moisture may come in contact with the wood. Wood and metal really don't like each other as the wood holds moisture. Check the installation fastners several times this year and next until the hardwood has settled into its lowest compression point.

Enjoy that seat suspension kit.

Max

D

DK35vince

I recently installed the seat suspension kit on my hustler sd 54. The change was not as much as I was expecting, and I'm wondering if I installed it incorrectly. Did you guys bolt the bottom of the suspension directly to the seat platform, or do your seats have the slide tracks? The instructions say something about an adapter bracket if you don't have slide tracks to give the suspension enough travel room. My hustler does not have slide tracks and I bolted the bottom suspension directly to the seat platform, I'm wondering if I need to put some spacers in there to give it some room to go up and down more.

Thanks,
Eric
Most low profile seat suspensions require some room underneath to function.
Either slide track rails or 3/4" spacers.
There is a rod in the middle that needs to pivot 1/2" or so below the base for the suspension to work.

O

over40mower

If mounted to a flat surface, it will not work right.
I spaced mine up 3/4".

mhavanti

mhavanti

Over 40,

I purchased my sliders for 23.84 and made one heck of a difference as you all have said.

Mowed today and the seat suspension and flex forks are remarkable.

Thanks,

Max

mhavanti

mhavanti

Here you fellas are. Proof positive the flex forks and seat suspension kit are worth the investment. Bear in mind the camera is mounted on the frame in a fixed position, therefore it can't float like the seat so the flex forks are making the camera look fairly steady. I even mounted the camera on the mower deck to show how much the flex forks are smoothing out the jounce.

At the end of the video where the seat suspension section is shown, the camera is pointed at the seat to show you just how much the mower is bouncing up and down when you see the seat travel.

Enjoy the video. If you do, give it a thumbs up and subscribe please.

Maxhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ujmlAzZgdo&t=3s

G

Georgia ZTR

Over 40,

I purchased my sliders for 23.84 and made one heck of a difference as you all have said.

Mowed today and the seat suspension and flex forks are remarkable.

Thanks,

Max

Enjoy all your videos!!!! I recently installed the Flex Forks and have see a world of difference in the ride. Also, the cut quality at higher speeds is better as the front end contours to the ground. I just ordered the suspension seat from The Seat Warehouse. I am going crazy counting the days until it arrives!!! What is the model number of the slider bars that you ordered???

mhavanti

mhavanti

Georgia ZTR,

You're really going to love that seat suspension kit. I mowed a neighbor's property for him yesterday with an old riding mower. Took three hours and I'm still feeling it today. His yard is much smoother than mine, however the old riding mower will beat you to death. Consider the three fractures in my spine, pain is a daily thing, however, I don't like to add to the pain.

Enjoy that rascal.

More videos to follow, stay tuned.

Max