Export thread

Best Zero Turn Mower Brands

J

joepacelli

So I'm looking for a Zero turn Mower and started reading posts on here.
But I also using the internet for research but every time I try searches like Best Zero Turn Mower 2017 or 2018 I get results of
Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Most of these lists don't even show brands that everyone is talking about on here like;
Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

Why don't these brands show up?

D

Darryl G

Sounds like your search engine has the Lowe's virus :laughing: Try a different search engine.

J

joepacelli

Sounds like your search engine has the Lowe's virus :laughing: Try a different search engine.

:laughing: Yeah, tried all three. Edge, IE and Google. Even used MSN, Bing and Google and still same results
Everything keeps show Poulan Pro, Husqvarna, Troy-Bilt and sometimes Swisher as the Best Zero Turn Mowers

Even if I same Best Commercial Zero Turn Mowers 2018, same results

Toro here, not much to talk about when machine is running fine. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself). :laughing:

D

Darryl G

Sounds like someone has some hardcore and effective marketing. But those aren't the top brands as far as quality, although Husqvarna makes some excellent equipment. It's some of their larger equipment that seems to have quality issues. My main mechanic is at the Husky dealership that is primarily a rental yard. I love their chain saws, trimmers and blowers and switched over to them from Shindaiwa, which is now owned by Echo.

It seems that more people are going to the big box stores and buying their equipment. Personally I'd rather buy something that's been fully assembled, adjusted and tested by a qualified mechanic that I can go back to if I have any issues. Things like the first carb adjustment after the machine has been "run in" is often complimentary.

There's a reason that most of the mowers on landscaper's trailers in my area are Exmark, Scag, Bob-Cat, Toro and Grasshopper but I don't think Grasshopper has a residential mower line. It tends to vary regionally. There's only one guy in my area that runs a Dixie Chopper but in other areas they're much more prevalent. Gravely, Ferris, Simplicity, Ariens, Snapper Pro and others all make some excellent mowers too. Personally I give as much consideration to the dealer as I do the color of the machine. If you can't get parts and service for it conveniently it can ruin the experience. What's the Big Box store going to do for you in 8 years when the machine needs a little rehab?

P.S. - I forgot to mention John Deere - don't want to offend any fans of the green machines. :smile:

B

bertsmobile1

No such thing as a "best ZTR"
There is the right ZTR for the enviroment that it is in & the jobs it is required to do.
A great mower being asked to do something it was not designed to do will be a bad mower.
You won't get a better cut than a Walker, but you won't push a Walker through 10" of thick Kentucky Blue.
Some will mow shortish grass very well & very fast , others will turn pasture into golf greens.
Every brand has a few models that are pure rubbish or require extensive modifications to work properly.
And every brand has a mower that is best or near best in class.
I pay some curry eater $ 100 and he will make sure any time anyone searches for best & mower, my mower will come out on top of the list.

OTOH is you go to all the bitching web sites and search there you will find all of the mowers people had big problems with.
Knock them out & what is left should be reasonable.
Nothing under 3000 is any better than anything else under $ 3000 so if you are looking there just pick your favourite colour.

J

joepacelli

Don’t really have a budget. I was looking at the EXmark Radius E series for 5000 and the wife said if that’s what I want get it.
I’ve still got time till we move into the new home, but she also doesn’t want me having heart attack doing yard work.
Summers here are hot and humid.

D

Darryl G

If you don't have a budget and like the Radius and don't want to look around any further, go for it. I don't think anyone here is going to try to talk you out of it. You might be able to find a better value, but I don't think you'll find a better all-around mower in that category. Exmark did a really nice job with the Radius series.

C

cruzenmike

The number of mower consumers outnumbers the number of commercial users 1,000 to 1, or maybe more. Commercial users probably aren't as likely to Google search what the best ztr is, instead they will know what"commercial" mowers are out there and shop the dealers. Also, consumers are less likely to spend $5k or more on a mower. So if average Joe tries to use the internet to find the"best ztr" then the results are going to be consumer-oriented machines, in the sub $3k price range with the highest reviews/number of reviews based on what internet sources have provided.

With all of that being said, there is a reason why commercial users purchase Exmark, Gravely, Ferris and so on; higher quality machines, better engines, faster ground speed and superior cut quality.

But for you at home, the best machine can simply be the one that you can afford, the one to which you like the features, the one that fits through your gate, etc.. You asked a very subjective question!

My opinion, the Radius E is a very good mower if it checks all the boxes for you. Don't let this question give you any anxiety!

J

joepacelli

The number of mower consumers outnumbers the number of commercial users 1,000 to 1, or maybe more. Commercial users probably aren't as likely to Google search what the best ztr is, instead they will know what"commercial" mowers are out there and shop the dealers. Also, consumers are less likely to spend $5k or more on a mower. So if average Joe tries to use the internet to find the"best ztr" then the results are going to be consumer-oriented machines, in the sub $3k price range with the highest reviews/number of reviews based on what internet sources have provided.

With all of that being said, there is a reason why commercial users purchase Exmark, Gravely, Ferris and so on; higher quality machines, better engines, faster ground speed and superior cut quality.

But for you at home, the best machine can simply be the one that you can afford, the one to which you like the features, the one that fits through your gate, etc.. You asked a very subjective question!

My opinion, the Radius E is a very good mower if it checks all the boxes for you. Don't let this question give you any anxiety!

Well right now I definitely like the Radius E over the Hustler Raptor SD
Hard to compare to the Toro since I only looked at the MX4200.
I need to go to another Toro dealer which will be closer to where I will live, and also go to the EXmark dealer close to my new home to check out there facility and service.
I would also like to check out 3 other dealers near there that sell SCAG, Gravely, and the last carries both Ferris and Snapper. I don't want to rule these mowers out without at least checking what they have to offer.
And also see the service they all provide.

I'm probably going to stick with something between 48" and 54" deck. And the deck has to be a Fabricated Deck, not a stamped deck

cpurvis

cpurvis

Just my opinion, but I think the whole 'Fabricated Deck' thing is overblown marketing hype unless you plan on bashing into obstacles at full speed and need an armored lawnmower.

Just my opinion, but I think the whole 'Fabricated Deck' thing is overblown marketing hype unless you plan on bashing into obstacles at full speed and need an armored lawnmower.

X 2 agreed.

C

cruzenmike

X 2 agreed.

What makes a fabricated deck "better" in most cases is the gauge of metal used to make it, not necessarily the fact that it is welded together instead of being stamped. My wife's grandfather has a John Deere with the 7-Iron stamped deck and I am quite certain that it performs just as well as anything Exmark or Scag puts on their commercial mowers. There is no reason why a stamped deck cannot last as long as any other part of a mower if care is used.

B

bertsmobile1

For a home owner who has a couple of acres, cleans their deck regularly and keeps the blades sharp, they will get a good long life from a pressed metal deck.
I have never had to weld a fabricated deck.
OTOH there are 22 perfectly good mowers in my graveyard because their decks have rotted out / cracked beyond repair or are twisted or deformed beyond repair.
I have been pirating parts from them for a long while, having given up the idea of finding a mower with a blown engine to make a good one.
Despite being 10 times the weight of a pressed deck the deck lift and hangers on fabricated decks do not flog out anywhere as often or much as the lighter pressed decks do.
I am forever welding up MTD decks ( pre Cub style fixing ) that litterally are getting run over by the right rear wheel because the tension spring is dragging it under the wheels.
Murray decks tend to split up the skirts so it is a std fix to weld 3/8" or 1/2" reo bar around the skirt of the deck to keep them together.
The only time I ever replace the spindle housings on a Fabricated deck is when they are totally worn out ( lower bearing housing worn away ) and many of these decks are pushing 5000 hours,
OTOH I fit around 20 AYP 3 bolt spindles. around 10 AYP 4 bolt splindles that have fractured every year.
Of the machines I repair the fabricated deck ones do a better ( cleaner) cut and because on most there is a lot more blade overlap they use a lot fewer blades .

And the longer the blades, the worse the deck cracking problem is.

Most home owners will go through 3 or 4 mowers in heir lifetime ( if they buy quality mowers ) as a serviceman I see around 200 each & every year so my sample size is a lot bigger thus more representative.
There is 1 and 1 only reason why mowers are fitted with pressed decks CHEAPNESS and cheapness is seldom the neculus for improvement.

T

Tudorp

I've only been using zero turn for a couple years, but I choose Hustler. I have done some research, and found that most of the consumer mowers regardless of brand use pretty much the same components. The difference being the cosmetic "design" of the machines. I chose Hustler because the frame, deck etc are pretty much the same as the commercial units and built better IMHO than most of the consumer machines. The consumer Hustlers still use the consumer components, (engines, hubs, Hydros etc), but the chassis and deck seem to be heavier built. So, that is what I went with. I prefer Kohler engines, but Kawasaki engines are supposed to be an upgrade from what I gather. Don't know much about Kaw motors, but have always had good luck with Kohler, so I went with what I knew. I am not really "brand" loyal to any of them, because nothing anymore is built like they used to build, but from what I learned, felt ok with going with Hustler. I am hard on mowers because I am 6'5" tall at 400 lbs, and I bull doze through stuff I probably shouldn't. Even so, been pleased so far with my Hustler and it seem to take my abuse pretty good.

T

Timpiker

Grasshopper. Love it love it love it... Deck moves up almost 90 degrees for cleaning. Best tractor mower I've had in almost 60 years.

K

kinard

I have a snapper 46" deck with 21.5 Kawasakl engine. Trouble free for the past 5 years. I would either buy another snapper or a toro. I don't think snapper makes the 46" deck with a kawasaki engine any longer. I have changed the blades (3 blades) once, change the oil regularly, and grease the spindle bearings, wheel bearings, etc. frequently. I have a replacement belt in case I need it. The problem with Toro is getting it repaired if you have trouble.

P

piloto

But I also using the internet for research but every time I try searches like Best Zero Turn Mower 2017 or 2018 I get results of
Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Most of these lists don't even show brands that everyone is talking about on here like;
Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

It is common for search engines I won't name to provide favorable results to those who buy advertising from them.

J

jbuck0123@embarqmail.com

For my two cents...I would not shop for the cheapest mower you can find (it doesn't sound like you are), and I certainly wouldn't buy the most expensive mower you can find either. I mow 10 acres with woods (read tree roots) and mow trails that run through tall brush areas. I am hard on mowers. I think the key is maintenance. You can buy a less expensive mower and if you take care of it then will last and serve you well. I have had great service from a MTD 52" ZT with a 26hp Kohler engine. I am sure many people will gasp in horror... Sure I replace blades and belts and fix the occasional minor issue, but it has been a great mower for the last 8 years for less than half of the price of the "big boys"... Show it some love and it will serve you well.

P

piloto

For a home owner who has a couple of acres, cleans their deck regularly and keeps the blades sharp, they will get a good long life from a pressed metal deck.
I have never had to weld a fabricated deck.
OTOH there are 22 perfectly good mowers in my graveyard because their decks have rotted out / cracked beyond repair or are twisted or deformed beyond repair.
I have been pirating parts from them for a long while, having given up the idea of finding a mower with a blown engine to make a good one.
Despite being 10 times the weight of a pressed deck the deck lift and hangers on fabricated decks do not flog out anywhere as often or much as the lighter pressed decks do.
I am forever welding up MTD decks ( pre Cub style fixing ) that litterally are getting run over by the right rear wheel because the tension spring is dragging it under the wheels.
Murray decks tend to split up the skirts so it is a std fix to weld 3/8" or 1/2" reo bar around the skirt of the deck to keep them together.
The only time I ever replace the spindle housings on a Fabricated deck is when they are totally worn out ( lower bearing housing worn away ) and many of these decks are pushing 5000 hours,
OTOH I fit around 20 AYP 3 bolt spindles. around 10 AYP 4 bolt splindles that have fractured every year.
Of the machines I repair the fabricated deck ones do a better ( cleaner) cut and because on most there is a lot more blade overlap they use a lot fewer blades .

And the longer the blades, the worse the deck cracking problem is.

Most home owners will go through 3 or 4 mowers in heir lifetime ( if they buy quality mowers ) as a serviceman I see around 200 each & every year so my sample size is a lot bigger thus more representative.
There is 1 and 1 only reason why mowers are fitted with pressed decks CHEAPNESS and cheapness is seldom the neculus for improvement.
Good analysis and report ! I have a Husq. GT48xlsi which has a fabricated deck with 3 blades. There is less stress on everything from the blades and I have less to worry about from corrosion. In my day of buying used mowers, I looked at a lot with thoroughly corroded decks. However, I bought this primarily for the locking differential, which has saved me from being stuck multiple times (as I previously often was on "standard" movers) P.S. I wouldn't trade it for a ZTR for the world. I need and appreciate the exercise I get from steering the Husky on my half treed half hilly acre.

G

gman480

I'm a grasshopper guy all the way. They do have a homeowner line. I've Owned 3. My current is a 900d. Yes they're pricey. They started the zero turn idea. If you have a question just call the factory they will be glad to help. Good customer service .

J

Jmaler

Earlier in this thread one of the guys mentioned a ZTR that could mow a pasture and it would look like a golf course.

Well I have a pasture and I trying to decide between a 3-pt finish mower behind my tractor and a ZTR.

Any input will be appreciated.

Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

Hands down, if you have any hills or slopes, Cub Cadet with the steering wheel control instead of lap bars. I spent a great part of my career in the industry and always knew it could be done, and Cub has.

They stick to a slope just as well as a conventional lawn or garden tractor, and better than many due to a low center of gravity.

W

whirly

Stay away from the Toro. I bought a brand new Toro and 1 month into mowing the main control module went toes up. They said it got wet!

I finally got the part and the machine back up and running SIX MONTHS after the initial request for parts on a warranty item and the model was still being manufactured.They run great until something breaks and then you are out of commission for months.

I currently have a Scag and it has done everything I have asked of it on my 10ac hobby farm.

E

erbug

I own a lawn mower shop in Arlington Texas. I tell my customers that there are five good zero turn brands and I sell three of them. Toro, Scag, Grasshopper, John Deere and Kubota. I also, think there is a good second their of manufactures that provide a lot of value. As a dealership, we recently dropped Gravely because of quality issues although for other reasons as well. We used to sell Husqvarna and found their products high quality but parts were a nightmare. We used to sell Bob-Cat and they were very good and simple to work on but didn't sell well in our area. Similar story for Exmark. That said.... I also tell customers to go to a local dealership they trust and buy from them. They will assembly the product properly, adjust the tire pressure, level the deck, give you an extra key, change the oil before it leaves the dealer and even show you how to release the hydro's so that when your mower won't start you can actually push it out of the way of your wife's car so she can get to the beauty shop. At Lowes and Home Depot you might be lucky if they know how to start it. We just had a customer this week go buy "last years model" Toro at Home Depot. Toro makes a good mower. This Toro doesn't start and the customer has already bought two new batteries for it. He's bringing it to us this week to fix. It's brand new! Literally! You just can't fix stupid.

G

gladiator801

Every mower has some problems, toro owns exmark and there is little difference between them. I have a toro HMR 1600 that was made in 1989 only [was pre zero turm turned on 4 inch circle] was over $3000 at the time but it is best mower I ever had 52 inch cut and positraction when going straight. Deck still has original spindles [ greaseable once a month.has over 3350 hrs still runs great. I have bought a used toro g3 now a commercial grade mower. It is very heavy with me on it over1600 lbs and 23 hp sure burns fuel to pull all that around. It will go over 10 mph but no way can you mow at that speed.

Q

qmark

A big consideration is what deck location. I have a Gasshopper with the front mount deck which is great for getting under our many bushes and trees and grapes.
I also changed from a gas engine to a diesel giving way more power and torque and about a 1/3 of the fuel use. It is also very simple to work on, and has standard bearings that are ready available. There is no dealer of any sort close.

P

PeterJones

Did a lot of research 5 years ago and ended up buying a Scag. All I can say it has met all my expectations in terms of quality cutting and exceeded my hopes in terms of build quality and materials. I had the 29HP Briggs Stratton which had an oil leak from the get go and the engine seized and was replaced after 700 hours but the mower itself has never missed a beat.

D

DaveOhio

I purchased my Hustler Raptor SD 54" w/23 HP Kawasaki about 5 years ago brand new. The main thing that sealed the deal for me was that Hustler had a deal going for 0% interest for 48 months at the time and it was in budget. I was going back and forth between the 48 and 54 but went with the 54 because of the bigger tires and it just seemed all around beefier. I like the foot pedal to raise the deck because I do mow some hilly terrain and it's nice to be able to lift the deck while still driving when I need to, to avoid scalping the grass. I guess my dealer sucks because I vaguely remember a few problems from the start and were all prep related. Tire pressures were all above 20 lbs. Took me a couple of times mowing the yard to figure out why it was riding so rough. This was my first ZT so it was all new to me. Picked it up with my 5' wide trailer and really struggled to get the confidence to get it on there with about 2-3 inches clearance on each side. Drove it around their large lot for about a half hour to get more comfortable with it enough to load it. In hindsight, it might have been nice if someone had offered to drive it on the trailer. Had it back there for another warranty or set-up issue but I can't remember what that issue was. It was corrected in a few days and I picked it back up. The one that I'd call a major issue was 2 years ago when the bolts holding the right hydro loosened up to the point that it threw a drive belt and made the wheel lean and lost the ability to move. I wasn't sure what the problem was until I winched it back up on my trailer and got it home and jacked it up. Don't remember exactly how many bolts were missing or broke and how many were still there just loose. Checked the other side while I had it up but didn't find any problems, but ended up replacing all of them with heavier duty bolts. Haven't had any problems since. It now has about 210 hours on it. For some reason I still love it though. :)

poncho144

poncho144

My 2011 27 hp Briggs ZTR Simplicity is still go'in strong after 9 years of abuse from me and the elements.I reworked the Spindles an couple pullies, put Knobbies on it for more grip an Sno Blade. I use it also to push/haul drift wood that comes up on my small estate from Ohio River every year an just work the heck outta it. Also,I have a bank to cut an it gets a little squirrely, breaks traction even with the knobby tires so I finally picked up a new conventional steer Husqvarna rated at 25 hp Kohler which is strange 'cause the engines are the same size. 725cc.
Now, the Husky doesn't slip on the steep bank but does not seem to have the power with the Kohler engine compared to the Briggs when moving drift wood around. Also, on start up the Choke is man, compared to the Simplicity's electric choke an the K engine sounds like it is kick'n back while emitting strange sounds. Not a solid transition from off to on in my book. I kinda wish I bought the first Husky I checked out with a Briggs rated at 26 hp an 725cc. The Rack Steering looks kinda puny to me but tighter, so far, than other Lumber Yard outlets mowers Ive had in the past.
Further, the RPM of the Blades are phenomenal on the Husky, has a nice semi roar go'in on and due to the Hi Velocity seems to lend to a non stick affect for the grass.
I paid just under 2 grand for the Simplicity in 2011 and a little over 3 grand last Winter for the Yard Tractor Size Husky. Rear wheels are 5 Bolt, 23" X10.50X12 front are 16X6.50X8, has Diff Lock, Fab Deck which is HEAVY 'cause I just had to take it off (that'll be the Last Time) Spindle Grease fittings are topside, Batt is under the hood an EZ to handle, the Engine Air Filter is cool, two small levers to twist to open exposing a nice size Washable Filter Cartridge. Deck Operator is manual, whereas the Simplicity is Electric an Oil Filter is Heavier an easy to get to.
I plan on turning the ZTR into a 4 Wheel Drive Unit 'cause it likes heavy Grunt work, BUT, I REALLY should get a nice size Farm Tractor with a Bucket. My lil woman sez I have 'nuff "Toys" with all my Tools, Motorcycle, Guitars an Guns. Is there really such a thing?.
Good Luck with your new mower, whatever you decide on......

Its Me

Its Me

erbug, said it right, get one from a dealer that you can trust, I like Hustler but am a fan of Scags, I have two 48" commercials, two 61" turf Tigers and a 72" turf tiger, I cut a lot of grass, years ago I had a mower shop sales and service, now do home repairs since I retired, the Scags are priced high because they are quality and the home owner can do most belt and blade changing at home, only need a breaker bar to change the belts, Spindles have taper bearings (have to grease them) has a blade bolt so if you hit something will bend the bolt don't have to change out the spindle, I work on all models her at home, some are much more time consuming to work on and the customer pays more, if you want to low dollar buy get one at the box store and when the Hydro pumps go out and the deck rots out throw it away and get another one or buy quality from a local dealer that offer service, but a good one and be done with that, good luck, Joe

N

NavyNuke

I haven’t seen any discussion about my best purchase EVER! My Ferris with independent suspension, Kawasaki engine and 54” deck is THE BOMB! I cover almost 4 acres on a major hill with the house on top in under 2 hours. I rank this and my Ford F150 Lariat as the 2 best purchases I’ve ever made! Deck is not stamped but forged. This is quality throughout! Cannot recommend highly enough!

D

DaveOhio

I haven’t seen any discussion about my best purchase EVER! My Ferris with independent suspension, Kawasaki engine and 54” deck is THE BOMB! I cover almost 4 acres on a major hill with the house on top in under 2 hours. I rank this and my Ford F150 Lariat as the 2 best purchases I’ve ever made! Deck is not stamped but forged. This is quality throughout! Cannot recommend highly enough!
I'd buy a Ferris like yours in a second but I only have Hustler money. Wish I had yours when I was mowing my Daughters vacant 4 acres. Fastest I ever mowed it was exactly 2 hours non-stop, but usually stopped for a drink or go to the bathroom and it normally took about two and a half hours. After every time I mowed it though I was looking for the fillings in my teeth and swearing I'd buy a jock strap before the next weeks mow.

P

pelicanroost

I have a Ferris Evolution. Expensive but strictly a commercial mower. Extremely heavily built. I think of it as the Abrams Tank of mowers.

T

Timpiker

My Grasshopper 729 might be the best purchase I've ever made. Its got the deck on the front, push a button and sits right up for you to clean and change the blades. Fun and fast to drive. I'm 64 and started mowing when I was 5 (my Dad's old Wheelhorse tractor). I've had Wheelhorse, Craftsman, White, John Deere lawn tractor, Husqvarna near zero turn with steering wheel, John Deere mid-size with belly mower..... I looked at about 6 brands for a zero turn, all high end. I just fell in love with the Grasshopper 2 years ago. I love how the deck tilts up to nearly a 90 degree angle. I got the deluxe bucket seat that adjusts to your weight for a shock absorber feel going over bumps. I would recommend a few things - shop around for half a dozen within 30 miles, you want a nearby dealer that is good for service and get a loaner to try it out in your yard.

J

Josty

Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

I Use https://duckduckgo.com for searches.

B

bertsmobile1

Poulan Pro , Husqvarna , Troy-bilt
Gravely , Scag , Hustler , EXMark , Toro

A bit late for this but it is a quiet night with too many mossies to sit outside & watch the sun set while sipping on a nice red .
So the burning question is why Joe got such a small list of basically crap mowers .
The answer is SEO
Search Engine Optimization for the non geeks out there.
All those spam messages telling you that for a small fee the sender can make your web page come in at the top of any Google search.
So Poulan Husqvarna & Troy-bilt each pay 20 companies the regular small fee then every time some one searches for ZTR each of those companies will come up 20 times near the top
So the first 2 pages will have noting but those brands and ebay who have better geeks to make sure ebay always comes up number 1.

So if you are looking for some thing that you know nothing about yous search for brands
Ie what brands of ZTR's are there or how many brands of ZTR's are there .
This should bring up most of the makers.
There is an old addage which has never been as true as it is with the web
Good products SELL
Garbage has to be SOLD

So the more you see about something the more you should be suspicious.

C

charlie50

Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

Is this for you home or commercial use ? i would defiantly stay away from that top three . Id go with Gravley or Ariens ( same company btw) . i very rarely see these in my shop .

B

BenR

Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

I haven't seen much comment and I realize the brand has had good and bad reviews. My Dixie Chopper as far as I am concerned it a great mower. That being said it is the "Excaliber" and everything on it is big. huge pumps and motors, hydraulic coolers, fans at the hubs to keep grass away from the pulley and belt. Kawasaki engine, the seat is set for weight and is a cushy ride. built like a tank. My house sets on 3 acres and I come home from work and get done fast. Damn was it expensive. But I didn't want to by another one. I still keep my JD 455 tractor around and it does the yard workhorse thing and mows about every 3rd time to keep it limbered up. It is a great mower too.
Ben

T

Thin & Crispy

T

Thin & Crispy

Can you please tell us what model your Ferris mower is?

T

Timpiker

You need to be careful at "Best of XXX" lists. I do the same and I've found that companies pay people to get good reviews. Just be careful. Let the buyer beware.

Gil

Gil

Hear good and bad reports from friends and neighbors. Moved from a John Deere lawn tractor mower to a Zero Turn in 2010. Gravely HD 60. Have had two major problems with mower. After a couple of years stress cracks starting appearing in the deck. In fact one of bolts holding a pulley broke out of deck. Took mower to a welder and we were taking about he had never seen as many stress cracks in a deck before and starting looking closely at deck. His assessment was deck was misaligned in the jig when manufactured and was warped. Put a straight edge on it in several directions and showed me. He recommended going back to dealer and ask for replacement. Which I did. Gravely finely agreed to replace after jumping thru a bunch of hoops. But insisted I pay for the labor to replace. Don't think they were correct in doing that as it was NOT anything I had done or misused. Second item of complaint is engine design. Its a Kawasaki. The carburetor is at engine level on rear as is the air intake. Grass clipping, trash, dust, etc is drawn by air flow around mower into the breather making air filter cleaning and/or replacement necessary after every use. Note some models now have the air intake several inches above the engine and a precleaner. Should I replace my ZeroTurn I would want one with the air intake above the engine and airflow of mowing.

A

Atexan11

Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

I bought a Ferris 400 S residential mower last year for my 2 acres.. It is a great mower, highly recommend. You can also look at the Kubota and Scag which were also on my list

A

Atexan11

I need to go to another Toro dealer which will be closer to where I will live, and also go to the EXmark dealer close to my new home to check out there facility and service.
I would also like to check out 3 other dealers near there that sell SCAG, Gravely, and the last carries both Ferris and Snapper. I don't want to rule these mowers out without at least checking what they have to offer.

I'm probably going to stick with something between 48" and 54" deck. And the deck has to be a Fabricated Deck, not a stamped deck
you won't go wrong with the Ferris 400s. Mine is a 48" deck and I 've had it about 10 months. No complaints.

Q

qmark

A couple more comments on my front mount Grasshopper. It is really good for getting under bushes etc. where a mid mount can't. I also move some stuff on the deck such as taking a battery to a different part of the yard for something, or moving a garbage can down to the pickup site. But the best is mounting a 20 gallon sprayer with its electric pump on the deck with a couple of strap. It is very maneuverable to get around our hobby orchard for spraying trees and the grape arbors.
In winter the deck comes off and a snow plough mounts on the front.

Its Me

Its Me

you right they are good mowers but there is no dealers in the area where I live and don't see them, years ago I worked on one with the out front mower, it was a nice machine, glad for you, Joe

Q

qmark

you right they are good mowers but there is no dealers in the area where I live and don't see them, years ago I worked on one with the out front mower, it was a nice machine, glad for you, Joe
Yes, no dealer in my area either, for any of them.

T

The Alchemist

I have a Kubota Kommander model and love it. It's got the 3100 hydros, the fully fab'd deck (48") which is the only thing I'd love to upgrade and go with a 60" if possible.

S

subtlestang

I had a Hustler Sport 48" for 7 years, no major repairs...changed oil, blades, and filters, greased a few points. Decided to replace, looked at Hustler Raptors, was NOT impressed with the decks. Looked at a lot, but settled on a Graveley ZT HD 54" 3 years ago. Other than regular maintenance, it's worked perfect. The 5.5" derp deck works in all sorts of grass, even making damp mowing Ok. The unit weighs a lot more than the Hustler, the Kawasaki engine provides more than enough power, and the extra width makes it a LOT more stable on hillsides and ditches.

Would I repeat the purchase? Yes, and not think twice!

R

richnfla

I have been doing some research on ZTR's and which one is best . I Haven't seen any info on Country Clipper brand. They seem to be well built and reasonably priced . I like the idea of a joystick and the tilt up deck that they offer . Any reason why they aren't mentioned here that I should know ?

B

bertsmobile1

They are a low volume specialist mower.
Down here mostly used by disabled people.
people do not usually go ballistic on the web about some thing that works well .
OTOH if they feel it is overprised , misrepresented or just plain junk, they will whinge about it everywhere.

W

Whispering Oaks Farm

Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

l have gone through the big box store stuff, and then graduated to a real mower. I am now using a Ferris mower , it has suspension, a suspension seat, and is a 27hp commercial engine. it is great. I went through the rest on an annual basis.

R

richnfla

Thanks for the replies. I guess the "disabled" label might apply. I do walk with a cane (bad knees). I like the idea of the tilt up deck and the joystick. Are there any other mowers out there with these features ?
My other question has to do with getting on and off. Because of my leg problems I can't get on from the front. Can I step on the deck to get on and off of a ZTR? I've only used tractor style mowers up to this point .
Thanks, Rich

Q

qmark

Thanks for the replies. I guess the "disabled" label might apply. I do walk with a cane (bad knees). I like the idea of the tilt up deck and the joystick. Are there any other mowers out there with these features ?
My other question has to do with getting on and off. Because of my leg problems I can't get on from the front. Can I step on the deck to get on and off of a ZTR? I've only used tractor style mowers up to this point .
Thanks, Rich
This is where a front mount Grasshopper would shine for you. It is super easy to get on and off. No joystick as far as I know.

B

bertsmobile1

Thanks, Rich
A customer who has a dissability similar to a bad stroke has only one functioning arm & leg .
He had been using a tractor style mower with a spinner on the wheel & all of the controls moved to the right side.
I suggested he look at a Clipper after the first one I had ever seen turned up for a service .
His insurance company ( work accident ) bought one for him and he got steps built in the shed with an overhanging hand rail so he can step up onto it front on .
Naturally he can not mount & dismount out in the yard but he got a 6' long grapple so he can move things on the ground without having to dismount .
Seems to be working very well & he is very happy with it

D

DK35vince

Thanks, Rich
Yes,
I stand on the decks of the zero turns I've owned to get on/off.
If the deck is so wimpy you can't stand on it to get on/off look for a different ZTR.

S

shinytopgeezer

Well, this may not be great, but depending on your leg problems, have you thought about a stand on mower?The only ones I have seen are all commercial level, so at homeowner level they are rarely seen. For a yard the size you speak of you won't be on it for very long of a stretch. And with your hilly spots you spoke about, it's much more stable and safe to use on them than a zero turn, especially a homeowner grade one. The decks are front mounted so you can mow under low bushes without loosing an eye or lacerating yourself. Your neighbors will have never seem one, and you would have your yard knocked out in record time. You will be DA MAYUN!!!!! Toro is probably the largest of manufactures for them, and one of thier machines is a 12 month a year machine with snow blower and power broom ect, but now you are getting pretty high in total ticket size. From what little I've seen (Full disclosure I only have a Honda HRX217VYA which my wife LUVES), But my choice for your yard would be a Bob Cat Quickcat4000 stand on. It's at the high end of your budget, but buy before the end of may and get $500 off, and it has a 6 year warranty, and depending on the deck size has either a hydrogear zt 3100 or 3400 transaxle. Anyway, just the thoughts of a lurker.

S

shinytopgeezer

Oh, and good luck in your search, and like what has already been stated, but can't be over stated, your buying the DEALER, not the machine. Your Rolls Royce is worthless if no one has a oil filter. Stay in touch, let us know how it turns out.

R

richnfla

Going to look at a Clipper tomorrow or Sunday. Need to have a test ride to make sure that it fits my needs. As far as a standup, my knees would never be able to take the strain. I'm mowing about 3 acres and some is pretty rough . I;ll keep posting on my search. Thanks for all of the input.
Rich

M

MorrisGray

I have 2.68 acres to mow and my first zero turn was made by Ariens and I bought it from mowersdirect.com
They shipped it to me by freight company and I picked it up at their facility locally. It was a 48" cut or smaller, maybe 46" or 42", not sure but it had a Kawasaki 23hp motor and I considered it to be a great mower for the job. But my yard is very rough terrain and I eventually gave that mower to one of my son-n-laws. I now have a Ferris ZTR with a 48" cut, fuel injected Vanguard motor and shocks on all four wheels. My Ferris has a lot of premium features and cost me about $8500 a couple of years ago. The Ariens mower cost me around $2800 several years ago. My Ferris is a much better mower but for the price and value, I would buy another Ariens if it met my needs. Find a local mower mechanic for all your work because all dealers charge too much for service.

Its Me

Its Me

Morris, not defending the mower shops but you know that they have to pay rent, Labor, workman comp., insurance, mechanic tools, electricity and when those nice fuel injected engines don't run those testing instrument are very costly as years go by the shade tree mechanic won't be able to work on them and for some reason the dealer wants to make money and the people that work for them also, I am not being ugly I know they are expensive but we all see expenses at different levels.

B

bertsmobile1

I charge $ 60 /hr because I am mobile & work out of a building I pay no dollar rent on .
The shop up the road charges $ 90/ hr because he owns the shop and lives out back but even so he has to find $ 100,000 every january before he can open his doors for various insurances. I just have to find $ 1200 / year.
The mower shops i town charge $ 120 / hr but they are paying $ 3,000/ week rent and still have to find the same $ 1000,000 for compulsory insurances .

So it is not a case of rip off it is a case of mittigating fixed costs .
Then there are franchise fees, advertising and a pile of other stuff that the local mechanic does not have to buy.
Plus some weird things like JD dealers down here have to wash every mower than comes in so it leaves looking like you just bought it.
I wash where it is needed to do the work and if I have the time , might wash the rest of the mower, usually only when he customer has obviously regularly washed their mower.
This alone can take several hours to get grass stained wheels back to pretty shinny yellow.

A rip off is when you get charged for things , like checking the valve lash that is not done .

M

MorrisGray

My apologies if I inferred that dealers rip you off, I just meant that labor and repairs are expensive. I understand business concept and can accept that but I don't live near dealers and don't have a way to transport my mower.
... Again <> Sorry

Its Me

Its Me

I did not either being negative in my comments but the cost is high to keep them going and they have a floor plan from the brand that they sell, if the don't get them sold by a certain date they start paying entrance of what is in the show room or still setting on pallets, and tools have to be the best used everyday even the best wear out and the Snap-on and other are not as forgiving about replacing them, that lift table that is on a Aviator cost me 1,200 and had a place to drop off other wise I would have to pay shipping, one thing I found different about repairing mower as to four wheelees and out board motors, those guys don't even ask the cost because it play toys but will complain about mower repairs, glad that you got a good mower, change the oil and filter, Air Filter, grease and keep the oil fresh in the Hydraulic, change it twice as much as the owners manual says you will have a mower for a life time, Joe

khr76

khr76

no more words , just go for TORO .. Its best

O

Old & Slow

Purchased a Kubota Z231KW-48 this morning...First ZTR. Have spent hours upon hours on the internet and visited several dealers miles away to look first hand at makes of interest. No dealers closer than 25 miles and this Kubota dealership has been here for many years, also the Ford dealer, so feel comfortable with purchase. Replacing a 2009 Cub Cadet SLTX 1054 tractor style.

Its Me

Its Me

Old & Slow, that is the best one to buy where you can get service after the sale, parts will be needed and if you cannot do the mechanic work they can, way better than the box stores, support you local business, good for you now you should be mowing tomorrow on it, Joe

G

gainestruk

I have a 2004 Gravley ZT 1844XL with 805 hours on it, believe it or not it has an 18 hp Kohler Courage engine.
The only thing I've done is adjust valves an checked torque on case bolts each year, I've never had a problem with it.
The Gravley has hydraulic pump and drive pumps on each rear wheel, I've changed the hydro oil and filter 2 times per manual, I use Mobile 1 15W50 in it per manual.
I'm going to run that Courage engine till it gives up, I am noticing the power is going down, at the most it uses a pint between oil changes every 50 hrs or once a year if I don't use it that much, last year was 38 hrs, I use Penzoil 10W30 Dino oil in it, I'll send pictures as soon as I remember how to do it.

C

cruzenmike

I have a 2004 Gravley ZT 1844XL with 805 hours on it, believe it or not it has an 18 hp Kohler Courage engine.
The only thing I've done is adjust valves an checked torque on case bolts each year, I've never had a problem with it.
The Gravley has hydraulic pump and drive pumps on each rear wheel, I've changed the hydro oil and filter 2 times per manual, I use Mobile 1 15W50 in it per manual.
I'm going to run that Courage engine till it gives up, I am noticing the power is going down, at the most it uses a pint between oil changes every 50 hrs or once a year if I don't use it that much, last year was 38 hrs, I use Penzoil 10W30 Dino oil in it, I'll send pictures as soon as I remember how to do it.

So long as your hydro system does not have some type of failure, a simple re-power would turn that old girl into a new machine again. Sticking with 18 hp a Briggs Vanguard would make a good choice!

The one thing that I picked up on is that you have not only kept up on the maintenance but per the manual. I know people that either don't do maintenance or they assume that they know what they are doing and make mistakes.

O

Old & Slow

Its me...it will be a good week before I can mow, Expecting 4-6” of rain from the gulf storm and mower won’t be delivered until mid-week.

G

gainestruk

So long as your hydro system does not have some type of failure, a simple re-power would turn that old girl into a new machine again. Sticking with 18 hp a Briggs Vanguard would make a good choice!

The one thing that I picked up on is that you have not only kept up on the maintenance but per the manual. I know people that either don't do maintenance or they assume that they know what they are doing and make mistakes.

Yep, I've already have a Kohler Courage 20 hp on a Troybilt lawn tractor with 167 hrs on it, should be plug and play, will have to take alternator of the 18 hp and put on 20 hp, I've done same maintenance on the Troybilt that I do on the Gravley, I let a good friend use it when I got the Gravley, he is trustworthy with the engine so I'm sure it's still good, I mow the lawn every couple months to keep everything lubed in engine.