Export thread

Best Guess?

L

LarryJohnson

The B&S V-twin that I brought back to life last year and used all summer is acting up. I sounds like someone is killing a cat when the key is turned. I used it once this year and started it sunday, but I had to turn the engine by hand a couple of time in order to get the starter to spin it. Seemed like there was a dead spot where the starter wouldn't crank it over. Is this the sound a weak mower battery makes?. It's not your typical, click, click click, like a weak car battery. Battery was in the house the last half of winter.

Won't be able to look at it until this weekend. Just wanted some ideas to kick around. Is another valve job needed? Thanks.

Last year, did the following to get it running and maintenance; valve job (my first), new starter, starter solenoid, wiring harness, battery, plugs, air filter, oil, oil filter, gas.

B

bertsmobile1

Adjust the valve lash.
They have opened iot so far they have defeated the decompression.
The sound you heard was you killing your starter motor

Boobala

Boobala

YEP sounds to me like a valve adjustment is in order, as far as the "cat" goes' pull the engine shroud and check for debris and clean the "fins" while it's open, does the squeel go away after it's running ?? If not, check for debris around the "stack-pulley", is the drive belt in good shape and fitting in the pulley correctly ?? check to see if the belt "keepers" for the "stack-pulley" aren't rubbing on the pulley also... I would also check all the battery cables, ( both ends ) and check the solenoid for a GOOD ground connection to the body (frame) Keep us posted ....

L

LarryJohnson

Adjust the valve lash.

Thanks. That makes sense now because another symptom was that it didn't want to shut off with the key.
I'll watch that valve adjustment video again.

L

LarryJohnson

Adjust the valve lash.

Got it running, but not properly. There's still a "dead spot" where the motor won't turn over when key is turned. If the engine is turned by hand to another position, it will fire. I probably didn't adjust the valves properly.

My procedure was as follows:
Turned engine so piston was at TDC, plus 1/4 inch. I interpreted this to mean to turn engine so piston starts going back down the cylinder by 1/4 inch after reaching tdc.
Adjusted both valves to .005 so gauge would just hang in valve while bolt was tightened.
Went to the other side, turned engine so other piston was at tdc, plus 1/4 inch.
adjusted both valves.

thoughts?

B

bertsmobile1

Right proceedure, if you were sure the engine was on the compression stroke.
The quick & dirty test is to pull the plug (s) if it cranks fine with no hesitations plug out the usually the valves are not right.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Ok this a funny video and at 33:44 or 45 into the video it shows some good Chit....... Ok Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

https://youtu.be/Pl5vNccJwQs

L

LarryJohnson

if it cranks fine with no hesitations plug out the usually the valves are not right.

What?

Boobala

Boobala

Ok this a funny video and at 33:44 or 45 into the video it shows some good Chit....... Ok Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

https://youtu.be/Pl5vNccJwQs

I always enjoy Taryl's video's, He is one hell of a funny guy and a pretty good Mech. also, I think he relates to the average HOME-OWNER better than most, as most home-owners don't have anywhere near the tools and equipment Taryl has so he gives it to you down & dirty BUT like he say's... it's NOT the space-shuttle either. ..:laughing:

Also I wanted others opinions ..... of his Valve-Adjustment procedure, .... fully closing 1 valve and adjusting the open 1 is how I was taught to do it at a major Lawn-Mower dealer/ repair shop by their lead mechanic many years ago, and I've NEVER had a problem with any of my engine's valve train components to this day. :thumbsup:

B

bertsmobile1

I think we are a little out of sync.
If a motor has difficulty cranking with the spark plugs in but cranks freely with the plugs out then that indicates that the valve lash is not correct or the inlet pushrod has fallen off the rocker.

L

LarryJohnson

If a motor has difficulty cranking with the spark plugs in but cranks freely with the plugs out then that indicates that the valve lash is not correct or the inlet pushrod has fallen off the rocker.

That makes sense. I’ll try it tonight. I didn’t understand your last reply due to verbiage and typos. Thanks

L

LarryJohnson

She turns great with the plugs removed. It will turn over and start woth several attempts. Must have too much compression. To reduce compression, should I add gap or subtract gap between the valves. I mowed the lawn today, so I'm guessing that eliminates the pushrod possibility.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

The valves might not be right..... Did you see the video I posted for you ??

Also you could be running on 1 cylinder... Take some insulated pliers while it's running and pull 1 plug wire and keep it well away from the plug......... If it slows down a lil you good on that one......

Put the wire back on and then take the other one off......... If it does the same thing as the 1st one then you are good to go as far running on both cylinders.

If it kills the engine when you pull one of them off then you only have 1 side running ~!~!

L

LarryJohnson

The valves might not be right..... Did you see the video I posted for you ??

Also you could be running on 1 cylinder... Take some insulated pliers while it's running and pull 1 plug wire and keep it well away from the plug......... If it slows down a lil you good on that one......

Put the wire back on and then take the other one off......... If it does the same thing as the 1st one then you are good to go as far running on both cylinders.

If it kills the engine when you pull one of them off then you only have 1 side running ~!~!

Started to watch the video but saw that goofy get-up and intro, so thought it was just going to be a joke, then I saw it was 35+ minutes long, so I declined. Just watched the parts about setting the valves. Didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. He didn't ensure the engine was at top dead center. My engine's manual says to set valvles when piston is at tdc + 1/4".

While I was setting the valves, both my the pistons moved when within the cylinder. Doesn't that confirm that the rods aren't detached.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Your rods are good if your pistons are moving..... Taryl has been doing engines for 40 years... We or some of us on this forum set valves like in the video. The 1/4 in past TDC is to make sure that the Compression release is gonna act right when starting the engine...

Do the spark plugs and let us know ~!~!

Boobala

Boobala

RE-read posts # 7 AND 9 ...... follow what's stated and you'll be OK ! .. :thumbsup:

READ THE MANUAL (Small).jpg

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Speaking of CAMS and adjusting here is a new one Taryl came out with today............

At 10;22 he starts to explain why we adjust the valves the way we do.... He also shows the right way to set the governor..

The whole video is informative............

https://youtu.be/fmbwImeiqaE

L

LarryJohnson

... The 1/4 in past TDC is to make sure that the Compression release is gonna act right when starting the engine...

Good info. thanks.
I've been going hard all weekend. Just removed the left spindle. Need a new one. I might get to the plug test tomorrow or tuesday.

Boobala

Boobala

Speaking of CAMS and adjusting here is a new one Taryl came out with today............

At 10;22 he starts to explain why we adjust the valves the way we do.... He also shows the right way to set the governor..

The whole video is informative............

NO link ...?????

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

OH chit thanks Boo........

https://youtu.be/fmbwImeiqaE

Boobala

Boobala

Just remember Bo, ... WE do NOT make mistakes !! ... WE make "changes" .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Boobala

Boobala

The problem with Taryl's video's is, IF you've never watched one, you might think it's a joke or he's some kind of idiot, he sure is good and his info is RIGHT on-spot !

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Hey Boo don't tell me that tell that to the OP .......... LOL He thought it was a joke video.... I love his skits they are toooo funny ~!~!

B

bertsmobile1

loading a lesson with tom foolery & humour is a standard teaching technique.
I used ( perhaps over used ) all through my teaching career at technical college.
Needless to say all my students past my section of their courses with flying colours

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Well HELLO Bert ................. Where you been buddy ??? I was waiting on you to reply to my issue on the Cub Cadet No Joke thread ...........

B

bertsmobile1

Done a little 2000 mile round trip on old Pommie motorcycles.
All British Rally.
Do it every year.
Drove back up this year we take it in turns.

L

LarryJohnson

Your rods are good if your pistons are moving..... Taryl has been doing engines for 40 years... We or some of us on this forum set valves like in the video. The 1/4 in past TDC is to make sure that the Compression release is gonna act right when starting the engine...

Struck out twice yesterday, then I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cWoEk5Guos and got it done tonight. Turns over very easily.

Boobala

Boobala

Use whichever method you're comfortable with Larry, BOTH are right, and accomplish the same thing. Boudreau & I prefer the "Fast N Easy" method, .004 thou. gives it a little further time till next adjustment. .. :thumbsup: